How to combine the contents of 2 DVDs onto a single DVD using DVD Studio Pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Doc Horrorshow, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Doc Horrorshow macrumors member

Doc Horrorshow

I have many DVDs of telly stuff that I'd like to make DVD compilations of. I don't want to do an old-fashioned deck-to-deck transfer as that would entail quality loss. Can anyone out there tell me if DVD Studio Pro allows you to cherry-pick items from DVDs (presumably the .vob files) and create a new DVD compilation of them? If so, is it a simple process? Your input would be much appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Doc;)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. MPEG Streamclip > File > Open DVD
    2. Select VIDEO_TS folder
    3. Click "Select"

[​IMG]

4. Choose which title you want to open
    5. Click "Fix Now"
    6. Click "Proceed"

[​IMG]

7. MPEG Streamclip > File > Demux
    8. Click the one you want, in this example it is "Demux to M2V and AC3"
    9. Choose the place where to save the .m2v file
    10. Choose the place where to save the .ac3 file

[​IMG]

Now use those .m2v and .ac3 files in DVDSP.

Btw, it works, I did it last year.

3. Doc Horrorshow thread starter macrumors member

Doc Horrorshow

thanks

I'm not really clear what an ac3 file is-is it the audio and m2v the picture. Say I have a 30m minute programme on my DVD that I want to place with another programme from another DVD onto a new DVD. I open up the DVD in MPEG Streamclip and all I see is the .vob files. How doI know which ones comprise my 30m programme? Thanks again.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Click 3 (Select; don't select an individual .vob file - which is not possible via the OPEN DVD command anyway - as a title is sometimes spread over several .vob files due to size restrictions of .vob files)
    and you will get to 4, there you choose which title.

Unless your DVD has twenty titles, you could just test it out by repeating steps 1 to 4 again and agin until you find the right title.
    Or open the DVD in VLC and go through the titles there to find out which one to choose.

And .m2v is video, .ac3 is audio. Btw, what kind of experience do you have with authoring DVDs and DVDSP?

5. Doc Horrorshow thread starter macrumors member

Doc Horrorshow

my experience in DVD authoring is zilch. I've only used iDVD which as I'm sure you know is quite simplistic. Er, what is VLC?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

7. Doc Horrorshow thread starter macrumors member

Doc Horrorshow

8. Doc Horrorshow thread starter macrumors member

Doc Horrorshow

Ok I've found it in the drop-down menu. New problem-although the VIDEO_TS folder has been selected, the components are greyed out. By clicking through I get to open just one of the several vob files, number 1.

9. Doc Horrorshow thread starter macrumors member

Doc Horrorshow

Another quick query-what is the difference between MPEG2 video and a .vob file? And does coming from a DVD through MPEG Streamclip into DVD Studio then being burned back onto a new DVD affect the quality appreciably?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MPEG-2 is the name of the codec, .vob is the name of a container for storing video and audio in one file.

.vob files use the MPEG-2 codec for storing compressed video, and the AC3 codec for storing compressed audio.

Via DEMUXING you just split the original single file into two files, one for audio, one for video. No transcoding or re-encoding is involved, thus the quality stays the same. In the end, the same video and audio you ripped and demuxed will be the one on the new DVD via DVDSP, as no (ZERO) transcoding or re-encoding process is involved, thus the quality stays the same, as only the container (.vob --> .m2v/.ac3) has been changed, but not the content.

11. Doc Horrorshow thread starter macrumors member

Doc Horrorshow

Thanks, that's really useful. One more thing, when I imported a DVD item into DVD Studio Pro it told me that the soundtrack was AIFF not AC3 but I went ahead anyhow-any issues there?

12. Doc Horrorshow thread starter macrumors member

Doc Horrorshow

Sorry for the bombardment here but can I ask you if DVD Studio Pro will transfer PAL material to NTSC?

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't think so, but try it by creating a video DVD image via the BUILD button and playing the resulting "video DVD" back via DVD Player.

I don't think so. DVDSP often warned me about NTSC footage being not able to be imported into my PAL projects.

I don't know of any proper way to get from NTSC to PAL, maybe MRoogle will help you there.