Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

How to connect 2020 MBA to older screen (with Displayport)

Thijs Moonen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Hi friends,

I'm trying to figure out how to connect an older screen (HP ZR2330w, 2013) to my 2020 MBA.

I have a USC-C to HDMI dongle, as well as an HDMI Cable. So all I need is an HDMI to Displayport connector to plug in at the screen's end.

I bought an HDMI to Displayport converter for this purpose, but couldn't get the screen to receive a signal.

I think it has something to do with the "upstream" or "downstream" capacity of the HDMI to Displayport converter? In other words, the converter would only work if the screen had HDMI and the computer had a Displayport.

My question then is, are there HDMI to Displayport connectors that work both ways, or that connect an HDMI-connection on the computer (which I have through the dongle). How would I recognize that type of connector in a online store?

Thank you kindly for your help!

Thijs

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I looked for HDMI to Displayport, and I didn't see any that will support HDMI >to> DisplayPort, only DisplayPort >to> HDMI.
Your ZR2330W also has a DVI-D connector. Have you tried that? I looked at several options for HDMI to DVI-D, and all that I saw also mention they are bi-directional.

Comment

joevt

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2012
I'm trying to figure out how to connect an older screen (HP ZR2330w, 2013) to my 2020 MBA.

I have a USC-C to HDMI dongle, as well as an HDMI Cable. So all I need is an HDMI to Displayport connector to plug in at the screen's end.

I bought an HDMI to Displayport converter for this purpose, but couldn't get the screen to receive a signal.

I think it has something to do with the "upstream" or "downstream" capacity of the HDMI to Displayport converter? In other words, the converter would only work if the screen had HDMI and the computer had a Displayport.

My question then is, are there HDMI to Displayport connectors that work both ways, or that connect an HDMI-connection on the computer (which I have through the dongle). How would I recognize that type of connector in a online store?
You should use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/HLR62ZM/A/moshi-usb-c-to-displayport-cable

There are no DisplayPort to HDMI adapters that work in both directions.

There are DisplayPort to HDMI adapters and cables (passive requires DisplayPort dual mode source, active only requires DisplayPort source).

Adapters:​
  • CAC-1001 DisplayPort to HDMI Passive Adapter (1920x1200p 60Hz)
  • CAC-1056 DisplayPort™ 1.1 to HDMI 4K30Hz (passive)
  • CAC-1070 DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD Active Adapter (4K60Hz)
  • CAC-2070 DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD Active Adapter (4K60Hz)
  • CAC-1080 DisplayPort™ 1.4 to HDMI™ 2.0b HDR Active Adapter (4K60Hz)
  • CAC-1085 DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 4K120Hz HDR Active Adapter M/F
  • CAC-1504 USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI 2.0 UHD Active Adapter
  • CAC-2504 USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI 2.0 UHD 4K 60Hz Active Adapter
Cables:​
  • CAC-1073 DisplayPort 1.2 Cable to HDMI 2.0 UHD 4K60Hz Active Adapter
  • CAC-1082 DisplayPort 1.4 Cable to HDMI 2.0b Active Adapter
  • CAC-1173 Mini DisplayPort 1.2 Cable to HDMI UHD 4K60Hz Active Adapter
  • CAC-1182 Mini DisplayPort™ 1.4 Cable to HDMI™ 2.0b HDR Active Adapter
  • CAC-1514 USB C to HDMI 2.0 UHD Cable Active
There are HDMI to DisplayPort adapters. These usually have an extra USB connection to provide power to the converter since the HDMI port does not have enough power for the converter chip.
  • CAC-2330 Club 3D HDMI™ to DisplayPort™ Adapter (4K 30Hz)
  • CAC-1331 Club 3D HDMI™ to DisplayPort™ 4K60Hz M/F Active Adapter

Comment

Thijs Moonen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Thanks for your contributions, DeltaMac, Sixty and joevt! I learnt something from all of your replies.

In the end, I realized I can even use the VGA-cable which I still have, seeing as it's only a 1080p screen. A 10usd usb-c to vga adapter will be the cheapest solution.

Best regards,

Thijs

Comment

joevt

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks for your contributions, DeltaMac, Sixty and joevt! I learnt something from all of your replies.

In the end, I realized I can even use the VGA-cable which I still have, seeing as it's only a 1080p screen. A 10usd usb-c to vga adapter will be the cheapest solution.
But VGA is analog. If you're not hiding the display in a closet, then a digital signal would be better.

Since the display is only 1080p, you can use any USB-C to DisplayPort cable. They start from $8.

Comment

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I've had all sorts of weird issues using VGA on my MBA. Just avoid it unless you have no other choice.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.