How to connect a display port monitor and thunderbolt drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sfwalter, Dec 31, 2012.

1. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I have a 2011 MBP and want to hook up a display port monitor (such as a Dell) and an external thunderbolt drive.

How can I do this with only the one thunderbolt port? I know if I had a the Apple thunderbolt monitor I could just daisy chain them.

Do I have to buy some sort of hub?

Thanks in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

If the external Thunderbolt HDD has two Thunderbolt ports, connect the HDD directly to your Mac and the display to the HDD. Daisy chaining is not limited to Apple devices, the underlying protocol for Thunderbolt allows that.

If the HDD does only have one Thunderbolt port, then you are probably frelled and need a Thunderbolt hub.

3. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

No. There is currently no way to do it if the device doesn't support daisy-chaining because there is no thunderbolt hub currently on the market. Sorry to disappoint. You'll have to choose which you want to connect.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you buy the ATD, you can get some extra TB ports.

5. Stetrain, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

It only has the one thunderbolt port on the back, just like any other Thunderbolt device that supports daisy chaining.

To do what is being asked you need one of the Thunderbolt drives that has two Thunderbolt ports.

Then you connect them like this:

Macbook -> Thunderbolt Drive -> Mini-Displayport Adapter -> Display