How to connect a iPhone 5 to my car using the line-out signal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by pawass, Sep 11, 2013.

1. pawass macrumors newbie

I've been using the iPhone 4S using a dock connector with a separate audio cable that feeds the line-out signal from the dock connector directly into the Aux input in my car console.

Using the line-out versus the headphones jack is a HUGE difference in sound quality and now I want to do the same with my new iPhone 5.

It looks like the only way to achieve this is to use the lighting-to-30-pin adapter and connect that to my existing 30-pin dock connector with the audio cable output.

Is there no lightning cable or dock that has the option of accessing the line-out signal (not the ones that just have a separate headphone plug)? Seems so strange since it does pass the audio signal through, right?

I still cannot believe that people buy Apple's claim that the lightning connector is better, when the ONLY thing that it has that the old connector didn't is the fact that it is reversible. At the same time it made millions and millions of accessories incompatible (at least without pricey adapters that don't even offer all the same functions). OK, please don't post responses to this last rant since I really am only interested in the cable issue...

2. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

The lighting port does not do audio out.

Well, actually it does but it's a digital only signal. The apple adaptor does not just make it fit old 30 pin docks and cables, it actually contains a DAC to produce an analogue aydio signal.

So either you buy the adaptor, or you by a new head unit that works with lightning and accepts a digital signal.

3. pawass thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I just saw that Apple finally came out with a new lightning dock that actually has an audio out in the back (with the analog-converted signal from the lightning connection on the iPhone). That's exactly what I need.
    Into my cup holder it goes... with a little foam to secure it.

Thanks for you reply.

4. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

So, for example, i have this in my car now, that i used for my iPhone 4 and iPod for audio-out from the dock connector

http://www.xtrememac.com/en-US/products/chargers/incharge-series/incharge-auto-aux/

I could just buy an official Apple Lightning Adapter and it would support audio-out on the iPhone 5?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but i've been wondering this myself, and seem to get conflicting answers when i search

5. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Yep, will work with that.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I can't believe that people think that this is the only advantage.

Tech moves on. If you want something to be infinitely compatible with future releases then your expectation is the issue. The adapter in question does exactly what you're looking for.

7. pawass thread starter macrumors newbie

takeshi74 - now that the main question is answered I would love to hear what the actual advantage is of the new connector. I really haven't found one (other than reversibility).
    Well, it may be a little more sturdy but then I never ever heard anyone complain about anything with the old connector.
    If you can spare the time please enlighten me.
    Thanks.

8. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Care to save us some time and share this information with a link? I searched the apple store and couldn't find what you mention.

9. rrandyy macrumors 6502

Another option is to get a BT receiver, such as the Griffin BlueTrip.

That way, you don't even need to plug your phone in!

10. pawass thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a pretty handy option.
    However, bluetooth streaming will compress (read: degrade) the audio signal and I listen to a lot of my favorite music in an uncompressed format (Apple Lossless) which sounds a lot better and bluetooth wouldn't allow me to get quality sound.

11. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

Add in a steering wheel mounted remote to control music, and i'd have a pretty much ideal solution

12. Chrontius macrumors newbie