How to connect a windows laptop as an external monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashishkpandey, Apr 15, 2016.

1. ashishkpandey macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I have been a long time lurker of Mac Rumors for all things Apple! But have finally come across a problem I couldnt solve by scouring the internet for solutions, so I need the help of the community on this.

I have a MB Air (early 2015) and a HP Pavilion 20 (all in one desktop). I would like to use the windows desktop ONLY as an external monitor as most of my work is done on the Mac.

The Pavilion doesnt have HDMI/VGI/DVI since it works more or less like a laptop. It does have 2 USB 3.0 ports and an ethernet port.

After much research I stumbled upon screenrecycler app which solves my query but the problem with it is that it is not compatible on OS X 10.11 or higher. Is there any way I can connect the the thunderbolt to the USB 3.0 and make this happen.

Im looking for any kind of solution, be it hardware (ethernet/thunderbolt) or software (LAN/wifi), to my problem.

What is the community's take on this? :)

Cheers!
    :apple:

2. theluggage macrumors 68030

Unfortunately, since your PC has no video input, something like ScreenRecycler would be your best option but, as you say, it doesn't support OS X 10.11. If there's a 10.11-compatible alternative I'd love to know. Note, however, that the ScreenRecycler display is a bit laggy and motion artefact-prone: its brilliant for a software-only fix, and hits the spot for parking online documentation, tool palettes etc. but you wouldn't want it as your primary display.

Going out on a limb, I suppose you could achieve it with something like this:

https://www.startech.com/uk/AV/Converters/Video/usb-3-0-video-capture-device-hdmi-dvi-vga~USB3HDCAP

...but my gut feeling is that its not going to be practical and, at that price, you could just buy an external display...