How to connect headphones and external speakers to an Imac at the same time?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macsander, Jun 30, 2008.

1. macsander macrumors regular

macsander

Hi,

I've got a nice pair of AKG heaphones mini jack(jack possible) and a pair of amazing AudioEngine A5 speakers( mini jack).

My problem is, there is only one mini jack line out on the iMac. How can I connect both at the same time? Very important however is that it won't cause any quality loss!

How simpler the solution is how better, I don't need nor want any devices with lots of switches volume controls etc etc on it.

My budget is 50$

Thanks a lot guys!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Some speakers have a headphone passthrough. A cheap splitter from Radio Shack would work as well.

3. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

Thanks, The A5's obviously don't have that otherwise I wouldn't ask;) An I know there are simple splitter cables, but those are meant for cheap headphones for the Ipod to listen music together with your friend, not for quality audio at home.
    Thanks anyway. Anybody else help me;)

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The splitter would work, but its certainly not the best solution.

You need a headphone amp with a (stereo) line out but I don't know of any that would be priced about $50. Most people wouldn't need the line out so the cheaper headphone amps typically don't have them.

I'd suggest using an external firewire sound interface (a.k.a. "card"), most of which would have a headphone jack typically with its own level control.

The least inexpensive (24-bit, good sounding) solution I know of would be the Behringer FCA202, which will work under OS X, and runs about $80 street price (less if you can find a refurb). A good (24 bit) sound device (USB or Firewire) would be an big improvement over the "line out" from any Apple computer.

5. Lebowski macrumors 6502

I hate to break it to you, but using ANYTHING with a 1/8" mini jacks isnt going to be "quality". You will get the same signal using a splitter as you do without.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

7. Christian G macrumors newbie

The problem with splitters is that they can create impedance imbalance issues. This would most commonly manifest itself in a treble decrease.

Most people won't notice, but if you are using high end gear and are attuned to sound quality you may.

8. netherfred macrumors member

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The splitter wouldn't be the preferable method unless the OP doesn't mind the quality of it and it would be useful depending on the lack of USB ports.

If this is your first escapade in high-end audio before you drop $80 I would go and buy the $5 splitter from radioshack. There are plenty of things that are going to effect the quality, the splitter would create an imbalance, buy you many notice. If your music is at a lower quality and other things would make it quite irrelevant. Unless you have some pro-grade headphones you probably are going to be fine with just the splitter...

Possibly the better question is why do you want both at the same time?

Also, the Belkin one isn't any better or worse then the Radioshack Generic one.

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

11. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

It is helpful but the problem is, this also has only one mini jack output and you can't use the one at the Imac at the same time since you can't have connected 2 soundcards atst....?

Please check out my original post it answers some of your questions. As for why I need it, just to save me the headache by having to change it all the time.

12. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander