How to connect Monitor to the New IMAC?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dfine1966, May 3, 2011.

1. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

Wife won't let me get my new iMac until after May 8. I am getting a new top of the line, iMac 27, with all the bells and whistles, except SSD(don't want both Window 7 and SL sharing small drive), but with a 2TB hard drive. Will have Windows 7 and Snow Leopard split the 2TB drive.

Now for my question?

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW monitor that I want to hook up to the new iMac with Thunderbolt. I want to connect the Samsung to the iMac to have dual screens. The Samsung has two connections, VGA and DVI. I was planning on using the DVI port. What do I need to get to make this work? Will the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter work? I notice the new iMac has two Thunderbolt ports. Will the Min DisplayPort adapter work in the Thunderbolt port, or do I have to wait until they make Thunderbolt adapters?

Thanks.

5 days and counting till I can order my iMac.

Quick question: If I order online Office Mac 11 and it comes preinstalled. Do you get the full disk with it, just in case you had to reformat or reinstall Office over again?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Any Mini DisplayPort adapter should work. It does not have to be Apple's, you can save $ by getting it from eBay for example (I have cheap mDP to HDMI eBay adapter, no issues).

I think you get at least some kind of a disc if you buy it pre-installed.