How to connect my MBP 15.2 Silver to Apple Cinema HD 23" Silver case

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by esusanto77, May 16, 2010.

1. esusanto77 macrumors newbie

Can I connect my MBP 15.2 Silver directly to Apple Cinema HD 23" Silver case? (I see on the right side of my MBP: DVI, Firewire, USB)
    I intent to use both MBP screen and Apple Cinema together, so I have larger space to work. Is that possible?

Thanks for your response

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Just connect the DVI, USB and Firewire to the macbook pro. If you open the displays pane in system preferences you'll be able to switch which display has the menubar and everything on it. It should also just autodetect the display, but if it doesnt just hit the detect displays button in the displays preference pane.

3. esusanto77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks reebzor for your reply.
    I just found out that there are 2 types of DVI. My MBP (Silver) has Dual Link DVI-I , and Apple Cinema Display 23 has Dual Link DVI-D. What's the difference? Can this external display work with with my MBP?

Attached Files:

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

DVI-I: the I stands for integrated, it has extra pins to have the analog (VGA) signal on it.

DVI-D: Digital only.

It will work, the extra pins won't be connected, which isn't a problem, since you don't need them

for cheap (but good) cables, check out monoprice. You can have one shipped for under $20, possibly well under.