how to connect newest MB to LCD TV? (newbie q)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by new2macx, Oct 14, 2008.

1. new2macx macrumors member

Hopefully a nice straightforward question: how do I connect my prospective new MB to my Panasonic TV, so that I can watch videos etc on the screen? The TV has all the usual connections- HDMI, SCART, "PC"(?), video red green & blue etc. I'm confused by ports :rolleyes:. Thanks!

2. MacFlash macrumors newbie

Best Guesses Depending on the Ports your TV has (you didn't say if it has DVI or VGA but I bet the PC port is either VGA or DVI):

VIDEO:

If you have DVI or VGA (preferred): MacBook ---> Mini Display Port to DVI or VGA adapter ---> VGA or DVI cable --->TV

If you dont (Worst Case): MacBook ---> Mini Display Port to DVI ---> DVI to HDMI adapter ---> HDMI cable ---> TV

Don't forget you will need to connect sound from the audio out minijack on the Macbook too.

You will also need to futz with the output resolution to compensate for the overscan of your TV. There are free programs that allow you to do this.

3. new2macx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I found the page in the TV manual about connecting a PC (couldn't find it last night :rolleyes:)- the PC port seems to be VGA. And it mentions the audio cable (elsewhere in the book :rolleyes:) as well- looks like I need to go cable/adapter shopping!