how to connect remote speakers to Itunes via Airport?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by petalino, Jul 28, 2011.

1. petalino macrumors regular

I remember that long time ago I used to connect my remote speakers through WIFI, using Itunes, IMAC and an Airport Express.

Well, I am now trying to recreate the setup, but cannot find any settings in Itunes that would allow me to connect to remote speakers.

Can someone please give me some pointers on how this is done?

Alternatively, is there a way to control Itunes on my IMAC with my IPhone????
    I would like to leave my MAC inside and listen to music in my garden and to be able to remotely change the music too (with the Iphone).

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

There should be a little icon in the lower left of your iTunes window; click on it and it should show the Express if you have it available on your network.

And turn on Home Sharing in itunes preferences; then download Apple's Remote app for your phone and use it to control your iTunes library.

3. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Can you control which speakers plays what through the remote?

As in, am I correct in saying that you can have two (if not more?) audio streams going at once, one coming out of the actual iMac and one being sent to the AE.

If this is possible, can you control both with the remote app?

4. Dresevski macrumors 6502

As far as I know it's still just iTunes so you probably need to choose how you want the sound to come out, meaning you pick or it plays both. I would find it hard to be playing simultaneous songs through iTunes.

The music in this case is not coming from the iPhone/remote, although it can. What was suggested was playing the music from the iMac but then remotely controlling the music that is being played via the app on the phone. You can however play music from your phone to the airport express.

I would like to know how the airport knows which to play if both the iMac AND the iPhone are trying to play music at the same time.

PS: Airplay is the term Apple uses