how to convert .wmv to .mov/.avi/et al on osx??

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
Yeah, so I've been having some issues trying to convert .wmv files into files that I can place into idvd/imovie/etc (such as .mov or .avi) but I can't find any programs that accomplish this task..

Bit of background, I'm a college student so obviously, money is tight - So i was curious as to if there is a freeware program (or even a shareware one) that will accomplish this task...hope so!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
charlestrippy said:
Yeah, so I've been having some issues trying to convert .wmv files into files that I can place into idvd/imovie/etc (such as .mov or .avi) but I can't find any programs that accomplish this task..

Bit of background, I'm a college student so obviously, money is tight - So i was curious as to if there is a freeware program (or even a shareware one) that will accomplish this task...hope so!
Download and install the Popwire WMV-9 Component QuickTime codec.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Reply to a deleted spam post:

Don't take this WMV Converter thingie the above poster so obviously spammed. He posted it just some time ago in another thread about the exact opposite.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Don't take this WMV Converter thingie the above poster so obviously spammed. He posted it just some time ago in another thread about the exact opposite.
Was this a reply to a deleted response? Because if it was a reply to MisterMe's post it is mistaken.

MotleyPete

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Blighty
Install flip4mac (free), then download MPEG Streamclip (free)

It's pretty easy, just drag your WMV into the MPEG Streamclip window and export to whatever you want, or even better choose "save as" for quick and easy Quicktime mov files.