How to creat new folders in the sidebar (left column) of Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by novetan, Sep 11, 2010.

1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

2. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I didn't word it correctly. I want to creat another header, say ABC company Document as main header (instead of creating ABC co. as folder inside Document and make it a short cut).

Thanks

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't understand completely, but maybe we can find something via ruling things out.

1. Do you want to create a new section like "Devices", "Shared" or "Places", but with your own title, for example "ABC company Document"?

2. You want to have a folder inside the "Places" section called "ABC company Document", but this folder should not reside anywhere else, for example it should not be in the Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Documents folder or the Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Desktop folder or any other sub-folder?
    The only place this "ABC company Document" folder exists is in the Sidebar?

3. ...

Regarding 1. and 2.: Not possible, as the first would require tampering with Mac OS X and 2. is not feasible as the Sidebar is a location for shortcuts/aliases and not the actual files or folders, thus I assume you meant something else, for which the 3. is reserved.
    As English is not my first language, I seem to have problems understanding what you want to do, maybe you can make a drawing via Preview and its Annotation Tools (CMD+SHIFT+A)?

4. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for having the patience with me as you have attempted in helping me out the last few occassions. I'm also reading those links you send me especially the 101. Still a long list to read after 20 yrs in PC.

The above is exactly what I wanted but awhile ago I have figured it out how to do it.

You're of great help and thanks again.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

In other words, you have created a folder in the Sidebar called "ABC company Document" (as an example), but that folder does not exist anywhere else? How did you do that, as the Sidebar is just holding shortcuts/aliases? What is shown in the Path Bar?

[​IMG]

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Of course, you and I know that this is impossible.

7. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

I did it just like in your post 2. I created the respective folder under DL and drag to the Sidebar. DL was created in the shop for me when I first purchased.

[​IMG]

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The all is well and right I suppose?

Btw, DL is the name of your Home folder.

9. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, DL is my home folder. Learned another new term

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys