How to create a group in Mail without wasting an hour of my time?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macbook123, Nov 27, 2010.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

OK, imagine having an address book with several thousand entries. Imagine you have to send an announcement for a meeting to a group of about two hundred people roughly once a month. That group evolves: sometimes people drop out, sometimes new people join. The way I currently handle this is that I search in my "Sent" history for past instances of this email, then copy and paste the email addresses into a new message body, then go through my Inbox to search for requests from new people to be added and add them to the recipient list, then search my Inbox for people who want to be removed and take their emails out of the copied-pasted recipient list from last month, then finally get to write the new email body and send it out. Takes about 15 minutes of my time each time I do it just to get the email ready, about a minute to write the body.

So I thought it's time to create a group that I can over time subtract and add to, but is there a simpler way to do this than go through my several thousand addresses long address book and find the addresses of folks that have been recipients in the past (which would roughly take me an hour to do)? Wouldn't it be logical for Mail to simply allow me to establish a new group, than drag and drop the email addresses from past recipient lists into that group (which would take roughly 5 seconds)?

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I "tag" each contact using keywords I add to the "notes" field. Then I create smart groups based on those tagged keywords. Then you can just create a new message and add the smart group to a recipient field. Yes, it might be some work at first, but it makes things easier in the long run.