How to create dummy album in iTunes to catalog vinyl collection?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GeorgeOrwell, May 13, 2010.

1. GeorgeOrwell macrumors newbie

I am a DJ, using all vinyl records. I would love to create an iTunes library that would catalog my entire vinyl collection, thus allowing me to create playlists of songs, genres, etc that I can refer to on my iPhone when I am out on a gig. I do NOT want to bother with converting my vinyl collection to mp3's. All I want to do is to create dummy albums in iTunes for each of my vinyl records. Is there any way to do this? I just want to type in the artist and album title and have iTunes fill in the rest of the info. Yes? There are other applications that have been created to catalog record collections, but then they do not allow me to create playlists with individual songs, which is important for my needs.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

There is no way to do this in iTunes.

What I would recommend would be setting up a database in something like Bento. This would allow you to configure things however you wanted, including 'playlists' of songs contained in various album entries.

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You could create a small .mp3 file (1 second or so) and rename it for each title.

It would not reflect the real lenght of the songs, but it would allow you to have your albums in iTunes while not taking much space.

All you need to do after is an intelligent playlist excluding these albums so that you don't actually hear them when listening to your library.

4. leifertin macrumors newbie

I know of something but it doesn't use playlists...yet...