How To Cross 5 International Borders In 1 Minute

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Aug 7, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

For everyone ranting about illegals crossing borders, children crossing borders, and wanting to build walls to secure borders, this should have you take pause, step back, and put things into better perspective. Enjoy.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2...tional-borders-in-one-minute-without-sweating

BL.

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Good god, that's almost as bad as the gerrymandering of US congressional districts. :eek:

3. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

4. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

True, but the big difference here is that the foreign nationals get along, and politically at that. Besides, where else could you walk to another country (read: your kitchen) to make some coffee, and bring some fruit back to the first country (read: the bedroom) and not get busted by customs for bring perishables into the country!

BL.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Imagine the cluster**** that would be if the Schengen Agreement didn't exist.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg had a deal to not have passport controls before Schengen.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You can drive through Luxembourg, Germany, France, and then back to Luxembourg in about 90 seconds.

Many, many geographical oddities out there.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

You are completely correct, as someone who has been to this town many many times I can say that it’s never a problem in daily life.

Council administration is very complicated, but except for a few cases everything works out just fine.

The only time that this town ever had major problems with the division boundaries was during 1914-1918, Belgium was at war the Netherlands was neutral. It was decided that the town would be administered by the Netherlands for the duration of the hostilities.

9. grandM, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015

grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

Roughly interpreted the Dutch didn't dare fighting the Germans. The Dutch tried to make up for it during the second world war. Actually they were scared again but the Germans decided to end this cowardness and invade them. The Dutch lasted 3 days, the Belgians 18 days. We love the Dutch though.

10. Micky Do, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Motorcycling around Europe I often crossed several international borders in a day, often without even realising it……. The way the world should be, in my opinion.

I have three nationalities, and two passports. It is handy in this nationalistic day and age, but having to have neither nationality nor a passport at all would be ideal.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

My dad said his first cycling holiday was for 2 weeks in luxembourg....

He'd pretty much cycled the country in a day and went elsewhere for the rest of it :D