how to deal with 13" macbook pro/retina with 128GB and external hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeniswise, Nov 28, 2014.

1. zeniswise macrumors member

Hi,

I checked Canada Black Friday for a sale on 13" rmpb and there is only one on sale for i5, 128GB ssd and 8GB ram at best buy or futureshop for $1250. is it a good deal? or is it possible could get a better deal during the x-mas season... even with a i7?

Also how do people deal with an external drive attach to the macbook pro?... is it a pain in the butt? ... that it not worth it and prefer the bigger ssd?

2. Zea74 macrumors newbie

Although not ideal, it's definitely doable. My wife has a similar model, on which she even runs Windows 8 in Parallels for some programs. All her work data is in Dropbox, synced to the device. All other data is as much as possible located on our NAS, which shows as a network drive. You don't want to store music, photos etc. on the Mac though, otherwise you'll run out of space in no time.
    So if cash is a decisive factor today, you could manage with this model. Mind you though, resell value might be lower due to the smaller SSD...

3. zeniswise thread starter macrumors member

Damn ... Forgot about the resale value :(

Is it worth buying the 2014 models or wait for the next wave?

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

It is a bloody nuisance if you travel and defeats part of the point of having a laptop.

If it is going to sit on a desk and rarely, if ever, move, then it is not a big deal.

Get the biggest drive you can, or you may find yourself changing your computing habits.

That is one of the three things I hate most about my rMBP.

5. robvas macrumors 68020

You can get a USB thumb drive or SD card to keep music etc on

6. zeniswise thread starter macrumors member

I'm nervous to ask u what are the other two you hate about ur rmbp