How to decide 8GB and 16GB of RAM on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmm, Mar 8, 2014.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I don't game. Anything high performance (mathematica, matlab, etc), I have a dedicated linux box for. I've always had just 8gb of ram and got by just fine. I was wondering when is it worthwhile to go with 16gb of ram? Or, rather, am I missing out by not having 16gb of ram? When do you get the benefit of 16gb of ram?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say 8GB is more then enough for those stated needs, and OSX is really excellent at memory management so I'd say you'll be good with 8GB.

With that said if you'll be agonizing over this and continuing to question the decision after the fact, it may be worth the 200 for peace of mind.

3. p3ntyne, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Save the money, get the 8gb.

4. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

I just bought a 15 rmbp 2.3ghz and added the 16 Gb RAM.

when I opened Safari, iDraw, Pixelmator, iPhoto, iTunes, and Mail, the system said I used 9 Gb already.

I don't find the 16Gb RAM to be a luxury anymore.

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

For today get 16GB: you can run virtual machines and keep it running fine. So you can get you Linux or any other OS running without issues without having to turn on the other box.
    For the future get 16GB.
    If you can pay it get it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Free ram is wasted ram with sox. You need to look at swap outs or memory pressure (if on mavericks). In windows if you run low on free ram things slow down. Wi osx free ram is a wasted resource

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Use the search function on this forum.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Good test here that shows almost zero difference between 8 and 16 when using standard desktop apps. You start to see some difference once you get into things like manipulating 500MB images in Photoshop.

9. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Every. Single. Day.

I think the admins/mods just like looking at or getting off to new RAM threads. That can be the only reason why they refuse to make a sticky RAM thread.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Ram threads are fun I admit.
    They are like an artmovie. Repeative.
    Watch Jim Jarmusch: The Limits of Control.
    Deja-vu.

11. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know, you can ignore threads you don't like/don't have any interest in/don't want to answer.

12. leman macrumors 604

Its simply that this topic has been discussed ad nauseum already and there is tons of information available.

Here is my rule of a tumb: if you are not sure if you need 16GB RAM, you don't need 16GB RAM ;)

13. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I assume most questions have been discussed ad nausem. MR isn't going to regulate it as it helps them for SEO purposes and it helps users get answers to their questions quickly. Not to mention, each user can, but not necessarily, have slightly different use cases.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

With computers, a general rule of thumb is: if you need to ask what it does, you don't need it.

15. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

What does OS X do? :hide:

Barney:D

16. Jonathanchasr macrumors newbie

8GB would be better for you

I think 8GB will be perfect for you however depending on the amount of RAM OSX uses a certain amount of RAM. I though 8GB would be perfect for me but I find that if you use a lot of Adobe Programs and lots of programs open you suck up RAM quickly... so beware if you plan on using professional programs in the future go with 16GB

17. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Not true. That is a general overly used answer on this forum; nothing more.

18. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

19. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Seems you are running close to the 8GB Ram you have, would suggest you get the 16GB Ram upgrade.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Seems like you're doing fine with 8GB, why waste your money.

21. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

It's the morbid fascination that keeps most of us coming back for more.

22. laomao macrumors member

definitely 16G since it is not upgradable.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In that case, might as well get the 2.6GHz processor and the 1TB SSD since neither is upgradeable.

24. TechZeke, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

You must be joking. Sorry, but if you have any clue about what you are doing, you know what it takes to run the software you want to run. Also, on too many of these of threads, you have half of the people saying stick with 8GB and the other half get 16GB. Half the time, the poster really just wants 16GBs and shoots down any person that tells him/her to get 8GB or vice versa.

I use AutoCAD, some photo editing software, and parallels. Other than the fact I would I get 16GB anyway because it's un-upgradeable and I could afford it, I know that if I'm going to use VMs 16GB is a must. If I'm happily running 16GB and a quad core processor and I have to wonder about the benefits of 32GB of RAM and a 12-core Mac Pro, I don't need it. The pro doing hard-core 4k video rendering/editing/music production knows he needs 32GB of RAM and a 12-core processor and there is no mystery or question.

25. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Well, the SSD resides in a separate card, so it can be upgraded at a later time.