Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
I want to delete some installed games, in order to free HDD space. Can I simply drag the application to the Trash? Will this delete all the files related to the game? Saved games included? Or do I have to perform a complete uninstall?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
That's going to depend a lot on the game. Some games are relatively self contained, though most will at least place preference files in ~/Library/Preferences/. It's also not uncommon to find files in ~/Library/Application Support or even in ~/Documents. GGJStudios will pop in here soon with his manually uninstalling guide, but that'll get you started.

jW

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I want to delete some installed games, in order to free HDD space. Can I simply drag the application to the Trash? Will this delete all the files related to the game? Saved games included? Or do I have to perform a complete uninstall?
If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, the most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
How big is the application of the game? Is that enough space saved? If it is, then you probably don't need to worry about the support files.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.