How to delete Chess.app?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Mork, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Mork macrumors 6502

None of the standard methods posted online seem to actually work anymore to remove this unwanted pre-installed app.

** The sudo command no longer works
    ** You can no longer go into info and change read-write permissions (that's all grayed out).
    ** Logging in as "su" does not work.
    ** Using AppCleaner removes everything BUT the app itself.

This is troubling since starting Chess also enables the mac's microphone!

Had I not had a utility monitoring the mic, I would not have known someone might be listening.

The main point, however, is this is useless (for me) software and I should be able to remove it.

Apple doesn't seem to think so and looks like they have invested R&D to keep me from actually being able to remove apps I don't want or need.

Has anyone figured out how to remove Chess.app from 10.13?

Thanks in Advance,

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Now this is the definition of paranoid.

But if you are so scared of it, just change permissions on it, so the scary chess application can't be opened.

3. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

You need to disable SIP to be able to modify system files. Chess app is a system file

4. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

There is no reason to reply with derogatory or insulting language.

Please be nice or post elsewhere.

Thanks,
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2017 ---
    Thanks. I guess it's really not worth it, but I'm assuming this would work. It's funny that previously-working methods no longer work.

Appreciate your reply.

- M

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

why stop at chess?

remove siri and facetime as well, along with all the other apps that might have a use for the mic.

if you use an iphone, best to get rid of the phone app as well, since that would need a mic.

6. hideous cheese macrumors regular

I don't delete it, but I do tend to move it and as with you and having problems with the task.

In Sierra I'd disable SIP and change permissions and I'd be able to move chess into a games folder. In High Sierra I no longer can. Even as root.

I can move DVD player so not all Apple items in the Applications folder are protected. But for some reason Chess is (similarly Photos, which I also want to move out of Applications)

7. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm really baffled why my simple question has invited all these snarky replies.

Basic courtesy -- If you don't have any positive thing(s) to say or add, then please post elsewhere, OK?

--

In any case, the main thing about my posting was not being able to remove the app. The minor thing is that it activated the microphone in the background. Why would "Chess" need to activate the microphone?

Thanks,
    So, you're saying in High Sierra, disabling SIP doesn't work either? Just trying to clarify what you said.

Thanks,

8. hideous cheese macrumors regular

Indeed. It makes no difference even with SIP disabled. It won't move.

9. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502a

Chess uses the microphone to allow the player to speak the moves they want to make. In Chess/Preferences there is a toggle, "Allow Player to Speak Moves" to disable this. Hopefully this should also disable the microphone.

10. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. But, can you delete it?

Thanks,
    Cool, thanks.