How to delete the Command+Q function to quit an application?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by sultanoflondon, Sep 24, 2017.

1. sultanoflondon macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I often use Command+W to close a window and sometimes accidentally hit Q instead, causing the application to quit. This is especially frustrating with Safari because this then closes all of my open tabs.

Can anyone suggest a way to delete the Command+Q function? This will mean that I won't accidentally do this.

Thank you!

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

System Prefs-->Keyboard-->App Shortcuts.

You can't change the Application Menu shortcuts, however, including Quit. You can Change Command-W to something else. Press +, type "Close," then press your new shortcut.

3. cpenner macrumors regular

I know this isn't a solution to your question, but doesn't opening Safari again open your tabs back to how you had them?

4. dsemf macrumors 6502

There was a recent thread on this but I cannot find it.

After pressing +, select Safari.app, enter the exact text of the menu entry, in this case Quit Safari and then the key combination. I use option-command-q. This works with Sierra.

DS

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This is configurable via "Settings/General/Safari opens with", by setting it to "All windows from last session". I'm not sure what the default is, so it may need to be manually configured.