how to direct sound from speakers direct to micrphone (output to input)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mavili, May 11, 2012.

1. mavili macrumors newbie

I am trying to output sound from internal speakers directly to the microphone. for example you're on a chat and you wanna play a music file so the other person can listen to it directly. how would I do that?

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You need the freeware Soundflower. Install it, then adjust your audio settings like this:
    Capture d’écran 2012-05-11 à 12.08.36.png
    Capture d’écran 2012-05-11 à 12.08.48.png

Your audio output will now be directly routed to your audio input ;)

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. mavili thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply. however, even though I haven't yet tried the app, it sounds like it will redirect EVERY output into the microphone. does that mean when I enable that option, I won't be able to listen to the same audio (simultaneously) anymore until I redirect it back to the speaker?! I will try it now anyway :)

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Correct. You can solve that problem using the included Audio and MIDI configuration utility (located in Applications/Utilities) and creating a multiple-output peripheral.
    Capture d’écran 2012-05-15 à 13.28.00.png

Create a new multiple-output peripheral using the + button on the lower left corner. Check both the Soundflower (2ch) and Integrated Output checkboxes and select the newly made peripheral in the Sound preference pane. You can't adjust the volume, though, but I think it keeps the one you used when creating the peripheral.

EDIT: I think you can adjust the volume if you choose Integrated Output as the master output.

6. mavili thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick reply! :)
    I did what you said, but it looks like I still can't control the volume level. But no worries, I will probably be using it only occasionally, so it is fine if I have to control the level from within the utility. Thanks