[HOW-TO] Disable Safari and use an alternative browser

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jessica Lares, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

So I figured this out today by just trying... I didn't see this posted either, when I searched, it was mostly about jailbreaking to hide Safari.

Go into Settings > General > Restrictions > And then type your passcode or enable one. Then turn Safari off.

No more Safari after that and you're free to get something off the App Store. :) I tried Dolphin and it worked fine. If you're using Sparrow, and some of the other apps that have their own web views to open links, they work fine. Not so much with the apps that want to open up Safari separately though.

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Does it actually remove Safari as the default browser when opening links from other apps? Seems unlikely...

3. sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

That doesn't do anything other than make links in emails not do anything. It doesn't let you change the default browser to Dolphin, Opera Mini, etc.

You were always able to install other browsers. I am typing this on Opera Mini right now.

4. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Opera Mini isn't a real browser but rather, a document viewer. Apple doesn't allow other browsing engines into the store.

5. SiftWinnow macrumors member

Then what's Atomic Web?

6. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Notice that I said Disable Safari and use an alternative browser. I said nothing about defaults. Geez.

7. sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

I don't understand how that helps you at all. You can use an alternate browser already.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Atomic Web Browser and virtually every other web browser in the App Store (Opera being the exception) is just a front-end to a crippled version of Safari's rendering engine.