How to display iPhone screen on your mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arunim, Jun 26, 2010.

1. arunim macrumors member

I'm wondering how to do this. Is there an official app for this? Or can this only be done on jailbroken devices?

I would like to see my iPhone on the computer so I can easily send and receive txt messages using my macbook's keyboard. It's obviously more convenient and efficient that way, instead of me having to keep checking up on the phone all the time.

If there isnt a way to see the screen, is there a way to forward the text messages to my mac at least over a bluetooth/USB connection or something?

I remember some people posting screenshots of their phone's screen (i think without being jailbroken) in some of the other posts in this forum. How was that done?

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

Needs to be jailbroken

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Hold the home button down and press the lock button.

4. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

Does this rule still apply?

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

GoogleSearch.png

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

yes. as far as i know there are no apps on the app store that will allow it to display on a computer. however with the iPhone 4S you can display the screen on a tv or external display with either the dock connector to vga adaptor or dock connector to hdmi adaptor.

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i thought i would update this thread. just so everyone knows a mac app was released that lets you do this for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 via airplay mirroring.

here is the link. it costs $15 but there is a trial thats lasts 10 minutes before the app quits.

http://www.reflectionapp.com/

i just downloaded the free trial and it works very well.

8. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the update! That app looks really cool. Have you noticed any lag/stuttering if you were, say, streaming a video to the Mac?

9. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i can't try any video because i don't think the app supports it. when i try to play it, the phone is in airplay mode and plays it but it doesn't show up on the computer. it lags once in a while but for the most part it keeps up very nicely. it is hard to justify $15 for me because i wouldn't use it much but the demo is fun to play with.

10. RocketRed, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

RocketRed macrumors 6502a

I just bought the app 10 minutes ago thanks to this topic. I was about to buy an AppleTV solely to airplay my 4S onto the big screen. Rumors say there'll be an updated AppleTV during the iPad 3 event.

However I checked out this topic and Reflection app site... I bought it and it works flawlessly on my 2011 MBA 13.3'' with i5. When playing games like, say The Creeps or Plants vs Zombies, it's very smooth. The only time it lags is during fast-paced games like DoDonPachi Resurrection or Taiko No Tatsujin (Rhythm game involving Japanese drums).

Also with Reflection App, I like how you have the option to stream audio only on my MBA from my iPhone, or I could airplay video and audio like when i was testing it out with some games as mentioned above.

In case anyone was wondering, it's not on the mac app store for obvious reasons.

and... Just realized this topic is 2 years old >.>

Also I googled "Reflection Mac App" and it seems this "Reflection" app just came out.. today?

http://www.cultofmac.com/149651/ref...your-iphone-4s-and-ipad-2-screen-on-your-mac/

I didn't know it was that new.. I assumed it was at least a year old. But this app replaces the need for an AppleTV now!

11. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to take a look into the app.

I suppose it also depends on your wireless transfer rates on your network.