How to do a clean install of 10.6.2 with only a 10.6 disk?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kahnyl, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

If possible I'd like to skip having to install and then update. Is it possible to download the latest version of the OS during the installation?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I haven't heard about Apple pressing newer retail 10.6.2 discs. Otherwise I have heard a passing mention of slipstreaming discs from the hackintosh community.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Once they do press new discs, can you take your older one in and get the latest one? Or, do you just have to use the Combo updater? Will a 10.5.8 Combo Updater take you there from 10.5.1? (just using my situation as an example)

4. Ardoptres macrumors regular

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The nice thing about Snow Leopard is, if you perform a reinstall WITHOUT erasing the disk, your update level is preserved. That said... yes. That's exactly what Combo Updates are for.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's cool. So, I assume a request for a "more advanced" disc of the same "species" will be met with an instruction to download the combo updater.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Correct. Apple does not make "slipstreaming" tools available to end-users, like Microsoft does for Windows... so this is all you can do.

8. larkost macrumors 6502a

Actually, they do. Just download the MacOS X Server Admin Tools from http://support.apple.com/downloads (does not require a 'Server license at all), and then use System Image Utility to make a custom NetInstall set, then dig out the image from inside the dmg there, and you have what you need (you might have to move the booter and kernel back inside the image).

Or if you are going for a totally clean image you could use InstaDMG (I say as the developer), or use SIU's NetRestore process to make a similar ASR image.

But all of this is really not worth it for one computer.