How to do a fresh install of Mavricks on my new SSD for my early 11 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i4k20c, Mar 22, 2015.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2005

I have an early 2011 MBP (2.3ghz i5/8gb ram) and i just ordered a Samsung 850 500gb evo. I know the easiest route in installing this would probably be to clone my hard drive. But imagine if i wanted to do something like crazy like start with a fresh install. Is it possible to install Mavericks on a blank ssd?

I imagine it is best for me to stay on Mavericks since if i upgrade to Yosemite, it won't let me enable TRIM right?

2. webs1 macrumors member

Aug 14, 2008
    Make a bootable DVD or USB Mavericks install disc. Install your new drive and do an option-boot. Select your install disc and install Mavericks. Should be that easy.
  3. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2005
    i should have mentioned that i'm not sure how to do that since you cannot download the mavericks installer anymore from the mac store.
  4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    Then use Yosemite.

TRIM and Yosemite works fine as long as you remember to disable kext signing (TRIM enabler will do this for you).

Note: For every major update (point updates like 10.10.2 to 10.10.3), you'll have to disable TRIM and re-enable kext signing (TRIM enabler can also do it for you) before applying the update.
  5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Aug 24, 2013
    Far from here
    You are on Mavericks, so Mavericks is available in the "Purchases" tab in the App Store.