How to do a fresh OS X 10.6 Reinstall and restore specific files from TM backups?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cmm, Jan 28, 2011.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

How do I wipe clean my HDD, reinstall OS X 10.6, then one-by-one, restore whatever files/applications/folders I want?

I don't want TimeMachine to e.g. restore config files that go with applications. Will TimeMachine try to restore files I do not want, because it is connected with a file I do want? If so, I'll just wipe my TimeMachine disk, backup with rysnc and restore this way.

Thanks

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

It sounds like migration may be a better way to go. I'd think that if you're aiming for an install without preferences for various applications (config?) then starting with a system install, with a new user, and then a migration might do the trick. Any settings particular to the old you/user would be gone. You can also select which applications to migrate. Restoring usually assumes going back to what you had, and you seem to want something different than that.

3. svenn macrumors 6502

On a related note, I am considering swapping to ssd on a mbp. Can I install OSX, then use the migration assistant to put everything back by plugging in my previous hd with a sata adapter?