How to do the Sprint iPhone network update (20-40k/s to 350k/s)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dfine1966, Oct 18, 2011.

1. dfine1966, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

dfine1966 macrumors 6502

This was taken from the SprintUser forum from a person named xenadu.

" I just tested this on my iPhone 4S so give it a try and see if it works for you. This will update your phone's radio. Supposedly Sprint has been rolling this out to help with the iPhone speed problems. Not sure why but there must be some mismatches between some of the tower configuration and the default radio configuration.

Go to the Phone app
    Type in ##873283#
    Tap Call. A "Service Update" message will appear, tap OK
    It will take about 30 seconds, then "Service Update Complete" will appear. Tap OK.
    After about 10-30 seconds the 3G icon will disappear then you will switch to "No Service" as the radio resets.
    When the bars and Sprint reappear, your update is done.

I went from average of 44k/sec to 350k/sec immediately (two bars).

Let us know if this helps you"

Here is the link:

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2623070&postcount=1

2. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

3. dfine1966 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you did this update for your iPhone4S on the Sprint network, or you just want to say "Not Really".

4. mds macrumors 6502

I've had no issues with Sprint, but I tried this anyways. It didn't increase my speeds, but my speeds have been fine so perhaps this update is only necessary for certain areas.

5. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

No, I did actually try it, it's actually half as fast from last night.

I need to drop Sprint like a bad habit.

6. MrTroy macrumors newbie

According to sprint tech support... they need to do a few things to your account before you do this. What they do I don't know. It can't hurt to give them a call before you do this though.

7. Greg M macrumors 6502

I just did that a few hours ago. Found a Best Buy mobile store that had plenty of 4s phones in stock. Went over there and ported my 4 lines onto 4 AT&T 16gb iPhone 4s'.

Funny thing is that I had just ported the lines to Sprint last friday.

8. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

After doing this, I went from 300kb/s to 400mb/s. yay...

I really want to like this phone, but the network is killing me. I jus got it today, and it's unbearable. I find that it even has substantially lower wifi speeds than my htc evo...which is an iPhone issue, not a sprint issue.

9. swester macrumors regular

Damn! That's quite an improvement! :p

10. docgerrard macrumors 6502

anyone think it is just a software issue and a network issue, not a hardware issue?

i feel like within a week or so, with 1) all the people dropping 2) sprint making sure their network is fully compatible with the iPhone and 3) apple releasing an update to iOS, speeds will be decent

11. stillmatic macrumors member

Argh, while the OP made a good suggestion and was helping out, I wouldn't advise people to do this.

I did Speedtest before and after, and ran it a few times and now my speeds are half as fast, and sometimes slower. Really annoying, Sprint.