How to double your iPod's Capacity

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
omgwtf
the thing says to use aac 64kbps instead of mp3 128kbps...wtf
dude, pot forums is where the link goes to...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I feel so proud. This gem must have been written up by a stonned Brit (notice the £ in the pricing of the iPods).

God save the queen.

:D

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i like the way he uses Microsoft windows looks like 98 to me , how can he afford to buy all them songs...wait Kazzaa King step forward lol

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
London
liketom said:
i like the way he uses Microsoft windows looks like 98 to me , how can he afford to buy all them songs...wait Kazzaa King step forward lol
Even more interesting: how did he get iTunes to run on Win98. I thought it needed 2000 or above?

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
It's fraud!!

I've been watching that auction for a few days out of curiosity.

I've sent him a couple of questions, and from his vague answers, I think I've figured out what he's doing.

The only way I can figure out to achieve this, that's in keeeping with his claims, is to re-encode you song's from mp3 to m4a.

However, you do get a slight difference in audio quality, and the space savings are not quite half, but reasonable enough. I did this to my library about a year ago, as the space saving was more imortant to me than the sound quality (I have crappy speakers anyway)

If you search for other items, by this user, you'll notice that he has one auction where he's selling this information for £500!!!!, although most of his auctions are selling it for £10. He doesn't seem to have any negative feedback, but I guess people who aren't that "knowledgable" about digital music, may be "amazed" by what he's showing them.

I really don't think that he should be seeling this, but that's the way of the world I guess

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
robbieduncan said:
Even more interesting: how did he get iTunes to run on Win98. I thought it needed 2000 or above?
iTunes does require Windows 2000 or Windows XP. But don't forget that Windows 2000 does not use the Windows XP-style taskbar and Start button... it looks the same as it did in Windows ME/98/95. And even Windows XP has the option to use the old-style taskbar and Start button.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
64Kbps?

That's going to suck big time....

128K sucks....

Sod it, uncompressed PCM at 16-bit 44.1Khz sucks, so it's all relative.

Now if only apple would produce a 1 Terrabyte iPod, I could dump 24-bit 192Khz recordings directly to it and enjoy really good reproduction, that's about a zillion Kbps...... :D

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
maya said:
BRILLIANT, how is the sound quality. Does it sound like Rich Krispy's (snack, crackle and, pop). ;) :)
Something like that ;)

This guy is so smart! Did he figure that out on his own? What a clever young man he must be. How clever. I wonder if he has any ideas of how to reduce the size of an iPod while were at it?

I'm going to take the liberty in teaching everone how to shrink the size of the iPod:

1) take your ipod and put it on your desk
2) take your fingers and type www.apple.com in your web browser
3) click "Store"
4) Click "iPod Shuffle"
5) Buy it!!

That costs 90 bucks to do

His method of shrinking the songs costs 10 dollars.

My way at least gets you an iPod

His way makes your songs sound great to sounding like a mooing cow.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
maya said:
BRILLIANT, how is the sound quality. Does it sound like Rich Krispy's (snack, crackle and, pop). ;) :)
Well... I do get hungry when listening to my music....maybe this is why....

And I just realized something else: a 1 kbps AAC file is fine when you are in a really loud environment and want to hear a mangled version of your song... and I can fit more songs on my 5GB iPod than Apple can on their 60GB iPod! :D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Mechcozmo said:
Well... I do get hungry when listening to my music....maybe this is why....

And I just realized something else: a 1 kbps AAC file is fine when you are in a really loud environment and want to hear a mangled version of your song... and I can fit more songs on my 5GB iPod than Apple can on their 60GB iPod! :D

Apple should hire your brilliant minds up here for discovering this neat technology. ;) :)

Who needs a 60 or even an 80GB iPod when you can wield this power in your hands. :D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
dotdotdot said:
Something like that ;)

This guy is so smart! Did he figure that out on his own? What a clever young man he must be. How clever. I wonder if he has any ideas of how to reduce the size of an iPod while were at it?

I'm going to take the liberty in teaching everone how to shrink the size of the iPod:

1) take your ipod and put it on your desk
2) take your fingers and type www.apple.com in your web browser
3) click "Store"
4) Click "iPod Shuffle"
5) Buy it!!

That costs 90 bucks to do

His method of shrinking the songs costs 10 dollars.

My way at least gets you an iPod

His way makes your songs sound great to sounding like a mooing cow.
I say you should market your ingenious "shrinking iPod" technology, I am sure there will be many who will pay for it. ;) :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
dejo said:
Why do I need to pay £10, when the idiot explains the entire process on the web page?

The £10, is either for:

a. A phone call.
b. Send you a "How To" PDF.
c. Send you some weed.

Since you will need it if you plan on getting the same results as the seller. ;) :)