How to downgrade from full OS X 10.8 to OS X 10.7

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by RobotNoah, Aug 18, 2012.

1. RobotNoah, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

RobotNoah macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm in quite a dilemma. I've been doing music recording for a while now, and decided to step it up and get a MacBook Pro and Cubase 6.5. I have a yamaha motif(fancy keyboard), which allows me to connect and do everything I need on it through firewire.

My dilemma comes with the driver I need to utilize the firewire. I installed several drivers I needed so far, and most went well. The one I need the most, however, will not install. The message "Installation failed. The installer encountered an error..." pops up. It shows the driver in my applications, but when I run it it opens and closes immediately(besides, its supposed to appear in the tray beside bluetooth). The driver was made before 10.8 and specifically says it is for 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7.

Also, if this helps bring any more possible fixes, I have noticed that I've been having problems with online-based registrations with the mac. Perhaps something is keeping it from easily connecting to servers?

My theory is that the driver is not compatible with the new OS, and isn't going to be compatible for a while(yamaha is slow with updates). So as I see it, I have 3 options:

1) Downgrade to 10.7 and hope it works. 88% Sure it will.(It does say in the driver description that it is for 10.7)

2) Buy and dual boot windows 7. 95% Sure it will work with the driver.
    -about $120

3) Buy an audio interface. Not sure if I'll need a driver. Not sure if it will work with 10.8. Not sure if I can figure out how to program it. 25% Sureness rating.
    -$100-300

So basically what I'm trying to ask (apologies for the rambling):

A) Is my problem with the OS not being compatible, or is it something else?
    B) Which of the 3 methods above do you think is the best?
    C) If the problem is my OS, how can I downgrade to 10.7?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

It's tough going backwards on the same disk; unlike an update a downgrade can't be installed over a later system. You have to erase a volume and reinstall the old software. And you can't migrate back; once things like iPhoto or Mail upgrade you are unlikely to get the new data to work with the old applications.

In your case probably having a separate volume of Lion you could boot into just to make use of the old driver might be the best solution; you could then toss it when the compatible driver becomes available. You'd be able to then boot into ML when you wanted to use upgraded apps and data.