How to downgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adam044, Jul 12, 2012.

1. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

I'm currently running the current beta of ios 6 and want to go back to ios 5. My question is how can I do this without losing any of my saved data/pictures and everything. I'm backed up to iCloud.

2. njaremka macrumors 6502

short answer: you can't. ios6 backups cannot be restored to an ios5 device.

[sarcasm] if you were a developer, you would know this ;) [/sarcasm]

3. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

Ok so how can I do a fresh restore of the beta. I have 1.03 gb of other something's not right

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

iCloud might pull your data down (photos), but for anything system related I imagine you're out of luck as while downgrading the OS is sometimes possible (put your device in DFU mode), you can't restore from a backup on a newer firmware version.

5. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

cant I download the beta and do shift restore select the beta and restore to it. and then restore from icloud.

or can i download the latest ios5 firmware and shift restore and restore from icloud

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The way I see it, you really have nothing to lose. Do a backup; to be safe I recommend backing up to your PC/Mac. Restore to 5.1.1 (while technically this is downgrading, Apple is still signing this, so you will have no issues). You may have to shift/command click the 5.1.1 ipsw to get it going. From there, set it up from the back up ans see if your data transfers over. If it didn't, you still don't need to stress. You can always upgrade back to iOS 6.0 (same method as above with the correct ipsw) and restore your data from there.

7. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

yes I see what you are saying. but i do not believe an ios6 backup will work with ios 5. see no harm to try though

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

FWIW, app settings that back up to iCloud (the app has to support this; not all apps do) should restore just fine.

9. njaremka macrumors 6502

like i said, you cannot restore an ios6 backup to an ios5 device. your mac simply will not recognize the backup as a valid backup. believe me, i've gone through the process. when you tell your mac to restore from a backup, it will only select any existing ios5 backups. the same will happen with an icloud backup.

10. njaremka macrumors 6502

Read this post...
    then read this one...
    your question has been answered