How to Download & Save "You Tube" Videos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lugesm, Jun 8, 2008.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Anyone know how to do this on the Mac?

Thanks,
    L

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

You can use software such as tooble or tubesock to do this.

3. p.luik macrumors regular

http://file2hd.com

if its not an mp4, you will need VisualHub or similar to convert the flash video to anything else. This is the best/fastest/easiest way that I know to do this.

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

5. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

i used to use vixy.net but I dont know if macs can use it (id assume they could).

7. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

In Safari, go to the YouTube video you want to download. Then open the Activity window (Option-Command-A) and look under the youtube section for an item with get_video in it's URL. Select it, then copy it, open the downloads window (option-command-L) and paste it in.

When it's done downloading, add .flv to the file name.
    You'll need http://perian.org/ in order to play it in QuickTime.

8. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

9. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

GOT IT ! ! I tried two of the suggested methods, and both worked equally well.

Thanks so much for your prompt replies and expert help.

I had found a YouTube video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap-Kt_9k3ME ) with really excellent instructions for disassembly of MightyMouse so that the ball and the rollers underneath the ball can be cleaned, and I wanted to save it on my machine for fear it might disappear from YouTube at some point.

Regards, All.
    L

10. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

11. mumurphya macrumors newbie

mumurphya

I also use TubeTV. It's very easy to use and simplistic. But youtube videos are such terrible quality most of the time that I barely download anything off there anyway.

12. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

A manual way of doing it...

1) Open Safari

2) Go to www.youtube.com

3) Navigate to the video you want to download

4) Let it load all of the way (the little red bar at the bottom)

5) Go to 'Window/Activity' . This has an index of all files currently open in Safari.

6) Find the biggest file. (The files are organised by windows/tabs, so it should be easy)

7) Double-Click that file. It will now download to your downloads folder.

8) Use a program like Visual Hub to convert it :)

- Michael

13. tonsorock macrumors newbie

Hmmm, this sounded promising — and also sounds like a press release from the company — until I read the site's features stating it, "...can be used on any Windows PC." This is after all, a "Mac Community," so I'm assuming it will not work with Macs...

I have TubeTV and Firefox's Download Manager, but for example, WalMart has a great exclusive live-in-the-studio video series called Soundcheck with a bunch of great artists performing about five songs, but neither of those programs can record it.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That doesn't always work for me.

I'm surprised no one mentioned DoubleTwist yet. Drag the youtube link to the window and it downloads and converts it on the fly.

15. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Activity Monitor should work for Youtube, it doesn't work on certain sites that don't directly load the content, but I've never had trouble on Youtube. Normally you just press Command+Option+A or select "Window" and click "Activity" in the menu bar at the top.

Look for the largest file most of the time (won't be too large if it's a 3 second clip). Double click to begin download. You don't have to wait for the youtube player to finish loading the content because you're getting it from the same place as the player is. You need to download from the beginning regardless of how much the youtube player has loaded.

To save them as movie files, you can use a free program called Mpeg Streamclip. It has a batch processing utility that allows it to handle multiple files, and export them as mov files for you. You MAY require quicktime Pro for that functionality, I'm not entirely sure.

I just used it to save a bunch of reference movies as self-contained quicktime movies rather than clicking "save as" in Quicktime Pro one at a time for every file.

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I know it sounds strange but sometime there is just no youtube video file in the activity window. I've successfully used this method before but stopped recently as a lot more content is just not showing up in window.

17. ninditsu macrumors newbie

i believe this is the best method, no programs and you know you will get the video you want
    1. go open the video you want on youtube
    2. copy/paste this into url

javascript:window.location.href%20=%20'http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id='%20+%20swfArgs['video_id']%20+%20"&fmt=22"%20+%20"&l="%20+%20swfArgs['l']%20+%20"&sk="%20+%20swfArgs['sk']%20+%20'&t='%20+%20swfArgs['t'];

3. choose save location, done!
    it gets you hd format or hq format if the video has it