how to drag 2500 songs from itunes to an external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by geordiejohn, Jan 31, 2010.

1. geordiejohn macrumors member

hello i have got an apple minimac 80gb 10.6.2 with leopard and i have got about 2500 mp3 files on itunes and i want to drag them to a folder called music on my external hard drive,then i will transfer them to my windows 7 laptop but i can only seem to be able to drag about 300 tracks at a time,does anyone know how to drag all the files at the same time please?
    thank you.

2. cart16 macrumors newbie

If your Itunes library is managed by itunes your music should be in "yourusername/music/itunes/itunesmusic". Drag the itunes music folder to the external drive.

3. omeletpants macrumors regular

I just did this yesterday. When I dragged them it screwed up my iTunes files of those songs. When I copied and pasted them there was no problems

4. geordiejohn thread starter macrumors member

i tried to do a copy but when i click on the external drive and do a right click there is no paste ?

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

command v to paste...

6. geordiejohn thread starter macrumors member

7. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

8. geordiejohn thread starter macrumors member

9. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

It should have had no negative effect to copy the files to an external drive. Perhaps you hit a key while dragging or deselected something or dragged to more than one place accidently. Anyhow, simply dragging and copying will have ZERO detrimental effect on iTunes.

10. geordiejohn thread starter macrumors member

thank you everyone i found a program called TuneAid which took all the files from my ipod and copied them to a folder called music which i created on my desktop.