Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geordiejohn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
hello i have got an apple minimac 80gb 10.6.2 with leopard and i have got about 2500 mp3 files on itunes and i want to drag them to a folder called music on my external hard drive,then i will transfer them to my windows 7 laptop but i can only seem to be able to drag about 300 tracks at a time,does anyone know how to drag all the files at the same time please?
thank you.

cart16

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
If your Itunes library is managed by itunes your music should be in "yourusername/music/itunes/itunesmusic". Drag the itunes music folder to the external drive.

omeletpants

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2005
If your Itunes library is managed by itunes your music should be in "yourusername/music/itunes/itunesmusic". Drag the itunes music folder to the external drive.

I just did this yesterday. When I dragged them it screwed up my iTunes files of those songs. When I copied and pasted them there was no problems

geordiejohn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
i tried to do a copy but when i click on the external drive and do a right click there is no paste ?

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
I just did this yesterday. When I dragged them it screwed up my iTunes files of those songs. When I copied and pasted them there was no problems

It should have had no negative effect to copy the files to an external drive. Perhaps you hit a key while dragging or deselected something or dragged to more than one place accidently. Anyhow, simply dragging and copying will have ZERO detrimental effect on iTunes.

geordiejohn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
thank you everyone i found a program called TuneAid which took all the files from my ipod and copied them to a folder called music which i created on my desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.