How to drastically reduce unplanned teen pregnancies

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
There are two key points in that last sentence. The first is that Rueda chose what is called long-acting reversible contraception. The second is when she chose to start that contraception. Right now national attention is on the first point. For good reason.

Between 2007 and 2012, Colorado saw the highest percentage drop in birth rates among teens 15 to 19 in the country, according to a report released today by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics. During that time, its teen birth rates dropped 39 percent compared to 29 percent nationwide. Abortion rates in the state among teens fell 35 percent between 2009 and 2012 and are falling nationally, as well.

The CDC’s report comes on the heels of Colorado’s own study, which reported a 40 percent decline in births among teens 15 to 19 from 2009 to 2013. The stunning decline in teen birth rates is significant not just for its size, but for its explanation. State public health officials are crediting a sustained, focused effort to offer low-income women free or low-cost long-acting reversible contraception, that is, intrauterine devices or implants. The Colorado Family Planning Initiative, supported by a $23 million anonymous donation, provided more than 30,000 IUDs or implants to women served by the state’s 68 family-planning clinics. The state’s analysis suggests the initiative was responsible for three-quarters of the decline in the state’s teen birth rates.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2014/08/20/the-simple-policy-that-led-americas-biggest-drop-in-teen-pregnancies/

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
And what about conservatives who hate family planning? What do we do about them? :-/

Talking the the teens helps a lot as well. Nothing wrong with encouraging them to wait.
As long as it is not the only help offered. I wonder what the percentage of teens who choose abstinence? Something every small.

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
As an older Gen X kid growing up in the initial Aids scare condoms were a must! We actually rated girls one wrap, two wraps or three wraps. I know we were immature college kids but it was funny.

Plus getting the old STD film with horrid pictures (in high school health class) of gross STDs also helped. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
And what about conservatives who hate family planning? What do we do about them? :-/

As long as it is not the only help offered. I wonder what the percentage of teens who choose abstinence? Something every small.
Rigid conservatives and their white haired constituency are getting older and will die out eventually, replaced my younger more moderate. Smooth gradual changes are better anyway for cultural issues.

Schools need to push contraceptive education. But they need to continue to push the reasons why abstinence best, but at least contraceptives. From STD to parasitic effect of children on their developing life, fun, college, career.

There were two older girls close to my family who had kids around 17. I saw what they went through, knocked out of going away to real college. Seeing that train wreck was enough to make me keep my pants up.

Teen Pregnancy in the United States. In 2012, a total of 305,388 babies were born to women aged 15–19 years, for a live birth rate of 29.4 per 1,000 women in this age group.
Only ~3% of teen girls are having babies.
Some x% are having abortions/miscarriage, likely similarly small.
But the incredible vast majority have been lucky, using safe sex, or abstaining.

And I don't put much faith in the luck, or teen responsibility for safety. Which leaves abstinence.

People like to say, oh all teens are having sex. But that just makes for easy peer pressure and/or justification.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
history has shown abstinence has not worked well. read a article that about 30% of births through history were only 8 month premies. People have sex there is no much way around it. if you guilt them into not having sex how will that effect their future sex lives? all these purity pledges and signing a daughters virginity over to their fathers has to screw with people.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
history has shown abstinence has not worked well. read a article that about 30% of births through history were only 8 month premies. People have sex there is no much way around it. if you guilt them into not having sex how will that effect their future sex lives? all these purity pledges and signing a daughters virginity over to their fathers has to screw with people.
if you simply accept it & encourage it, how will it affect their sex lives later? some here have no problem with the back door, should that be encouraged as well?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Tell them the truth leave religion out of it. Telling them it it is fine to wait but don't tell them crap or cause them to fear to keep then from having sex. But guilting then into it does no good.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Rigid conservatives and their white haired constituency are getting older and will die out eventually, replaced my younger more moderate. Smooth gradual changes are better anyway for cultural issues.

Schools need to push contraceptive education. But they need to continue to push the reasons why abstinence best, but at least contraceptives. From STD to parasitic effect of children on their developing life, fun, college, career.
I agree that there needs to be more contraceptive education, however I disagree about abstinence being the best solution. Telling someone to stop doing something is not going to make them not do it if they really want to. We have all been teenagers, when the hormones are raging did you really ever stop to think "My dad told me not to do this" when you were about to get some?

But the incredible vast majority have been lucky, using safe sex, or abstaining.

And I don't put much faith in the luck, or teen responsibility for safety. Which leaves abstinence.

People like to say, oh all teens are having sex. But that just makes for easy peer pressure and/or justification.
Wouldn't abstinence fall under teen responsibility for safety? I mean, you are telling them to abstain then relying on good faith that they will keep it in their pants.

Or are we talking about methods such as chastity devices? :p

Last edited:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Tell them the truth leave religion out of it. Telling them it it is fine to wait but don't tell them crap or cause them to fear to keep then from having sex. But guilting then into it does no good.
I don't use religion at all when I talk to my kids, BOTH of them are agnostic , religion is not something I pushed on them at all.