How to drastically reduce unplanned teen pregnancies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Aug 25, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2014/08/20/the-simple-policy-that-led-americas-biggest-drop-in-teen-pregnancies/

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Talking the the teens helps a lot as well. Nothing wrong with encouraging them to wait.

3. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Absolutely correct, nothing wrong with encouraging them. Just ineffective.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Aye. Hormones are a power thing, especially when they first hit you. And then there is the tendency among teenagers to rebel.

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

If we put together both of your ideas, you might be up to something...

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

No doubt. But are you suggesting all people should rely exclusively on that strategy?

7. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Nothing wrong with encouraging them to use protection, either.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Teach real sex ed in schools and ban this abstinence only nonsense.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye, it'd also help those pesky rape pregnancies that the body hasn't automatically aborted.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And what about conservatives who hate family planning? What do we do about them? :-/

As long as it is not the only help offered. I wonder what the percentage of teens who choose abstinence? Something every small.

11. satcomer, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

As an older Gen X kid growing up in the initial Aids scare condoms were a must! We actually rated girls one wrap, two wraps or three wraps. I know we were immature college kids but it was funny.

Plus getting the old STD film with horrid pictures (in high school health class) of gross STDs also helped. :rolleyes:

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Rigid conservatives and their white haired constituency are getting older and will die out eventually, replaced my younger more moderate. Smooth gradual changes are better anyway for cultural issues.

Schools need to push contraceptive education. But they need to continue to push the reasons why abstinence best, but at least contraceptives. From STD to parasitic effect of children on their developing life, fun, college, career.

There were two older girls close to my family who had kids around 17. I saw what they went through, knocked out of going away to real college. Seeing that train wreck was enough to make me keep my pants up.

Only ~3% of teen girls are having babies.
    Some x% are having abortions/miscarriage, likely similarly small.
    But the incredible vast majority have been lucky, using safe sex, or abstaining.

And I don't put much faith in the luck, or teen responsibility for safety. Which leaves abstinence.

People like to say, oh all teens are having sex. But that just makes for easy peer pressure and/or justification.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

of course not, told my daughter she can have sex 5 years AFTER she gets married :D

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

going to take a wild guess here & say that you guys don't have daughters :D

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

When I was a teenager, pretty much every girl I spoke with chose abstinence, at least until the next guy came along. :(

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

history has shown abstinence has not worked well. read a article that about 30% of births through history were only 8 month premies. People have sex there is no much way around it. if you guilt them into not having sex how will that effect their future sex lives? all these purity pledges and signing a daughters virginity over to their fathers has to screw with people.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if you simply accept it & encourage it, how will it affect their sex lives later? some here have no problem with the back door, should that be encouraged as well?

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Tell them the truth leave religion out of it. Telling them it it is fine to wait but don't tell them crap or cause them to fear to keep then from having sex. But guilting then into it does no good.

19. TheHateMachine, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I agree that there needs to be more contraceptive education, however I disagree about abstinence being the best solution. Telling someone to stop doing something is not going to make them not do it if they really want to. We have all been teenagers, when the hormones are raging did you really ever stop to think "My dad told me not to do this" when you were about to get some?

Wouldn't abstinence fall under teen responsibility for safety? I mean, you are telling them to abstain then relying on good faith that they will keep it in their pants.

Or are we talking about methods such as chastity devices? :p

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't use religion at all when I talk to my kids, BOTH of them are agnostic , religion is not something I pushed on them at all.

21. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I'd rather my daughter (well, when she's old enough) take it in the pooper all day long than get pregnant. :)

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

problem is you are only looking at pregnancies :rolleyes: you can still get AIDS & other diseases there

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Abstinence has a 100% effective rate of contraception and prevention of STD's. What's better than that? :confused:

24. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

When you have substance abuse (drugs and alcohol use), abstinence does not work.