How to Enable Dark Mode in macOS Mojave

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

macOS Mojave, the newest version of the software that runs on the Mac, includes a long-awaited Dark Mode option that works across the entire system, from the dock and menu bar to all of your apps.

Here's how to enable it:
    1. Click on the Apple logo on the menu bar.
    2. Choose System Preferences.
      [​IMG]
    3. Select General.
      [​IMG]
    4. In the "Appearance" section at the top of the window, click the "Dark" option.
      [​IMG]
    Those are the only steps required to enable Dark Mode. If you want to turn it off again, follow the same steps but this time choose the "Light" option.

While in Dark mode, the dock, menu bar, and all of your Apple apps, including Safari, Mail, Calendar, Notes, the Mac App Store, Messages, and more will feature darker colors and themes. Dark Mode will need to be built into third-party Mac apps that don't already offer a dark option when macOS Mojave is released.

Article Link: How to Enable Dark Mode in macOS Mojave

2. MacHiavelli macrumors 65816

MacHiavelli

Lots of dark applications on top of each other are very difficult to distinguish between: there is no sense of depth or layering (as yet).

And in light mode, it would be nice to still have an option for a dark menu bar and dock.

3. ike1707 macrumors 6502

How is everybody liking Mojave? I haven’t dabbled yet.

4. Jippe Joosten macrumors newbie

Jippe Joosten

This is not actually true, the light fall will change over the day. I use this feature for some time now it's quite subtle but it does change dynamically.

5. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Thanks, I haven't noticed mine changing at all, but it may be that it's not working properly or something. I'll keep a closer eye on it :)

6. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

What I don’t understand is why there isnt a keyboard shortcut or a menu bar toggle or an automatic night-shift esque switching into dark mode. I feel like those are all very obvious features that shouldn’t require a year for macOS 10.15 to be in the OS

7. .max macrumors member

.max

There’s an official exception key to disable dark windows per app and it works globally too (unless an app overrides it) with a Terminal command:

defaults write -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool YES

Essentially it looks like dark menu and Dock mode.

8. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

Dynamic doesn’t work on mine either. Must be a bug.

9. jwm macrumors 6502

jwm

I seem to recall it was listed in the release notes on the first beta.

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Hopefully that’s coming in a future release. It would definitely be nice to change mode on the fly, and scheduling seems way too obvious to be an oversight. Seems to me that it would tie in nicely with Night Shift.

11. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Hopefully f.lux will update to have activation. Currently their sunrise/sunset activation works but f.lux is generally broken when activated

12. McG2k1 macrumors member

13. Danoc, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  14. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

It can be done, i've set it up using alt-cmd-D to toggle dark/light mode, using the guide from here: https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...ode-with-a-keyboard-shortcut-or-the-touch-bar

15. Surklyn macrumors regular

The wallpaper does update in dark mode. You have to make sure you click on the change/update wallpaper feature below.. I set it to change wall paper every hour and it updates the wallpaper..

16. Taipan macrumors 6502

I don‘t understand why everyone seems to like dark mode. It does look cool, but my eyes are irritated after less than a minute when reading white text on dark background.

17. OriginalMacRat macrumors 6502

It's more of a gimmick... Like the MacBook Pro Touch Bar.

A solution in search of a problem.

18. Ragefury, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2018

Ragefury macrumors newbie

Dark mode is not meant for casual users, it meant to be use by individuals that spend a lot of time in front of an screen, developers, frontend dudes, designers, etc...adobe For example has a dark mode, most code IDE’s have a dark mode and it’s welcomed by everyone that uses them.

19. kriebe macrumors member

kriebe

I'm really excited about this for many reasons, but the first thing that popped in my head was that I finally get back the black background for all of my photos that was lost from the switch from iPhoto to Photos. It's so much easier to look at a ton of photos on a black background compared to a white one. There's a reason why almost all TVs and Monitors have a dark bezel.

20. nitramluap macrumors regular

Mine doesn't change either. It's a bug. File it with Apple. I have.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 30, 2018 ---
    I agree. I think to fix it they need to make the window shadows much darker. They're still there, but with the opacity level being the same as in light mode, it's as though they're invisible.

21. nortonandreev macrumors 6502

nortonandreev

I have reported the Dynamic Wallpaper does not work while using the dark appearance mode and got a response that states it “works as intended”...

22. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Interesting. Mine is stuck on the night wallpaper too.

23. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

24. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

25. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

It's here! It's here! Where's my 3D icon of a PM 6100??