How to Enable Dark Mode in macOS Mojave

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 30, 2018.

1. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

:confused:
    I understand : It's here! It's here! " (Dark Mode) but the second part, Huh, wrong thread or what?(Powermac 6100 icon)
    Or am I missing something.:oops:

2. H2SO4 macrumors 601

What Apple killed was a small team of devs, don’t know if you remember Shapeshifter haxies from back in the day.
    This is nothing new. But welcome nonetheless.

3. trevor12 macrumors newbie

in older mac os systems is possible to try

System Preferences - Accessibility - Display - Invert colours

4. Marx55 macrumors 68000

Dark Mode? Nope. That is the way computers (except Apple ones) worked 40 years ago. It is much easier to read black text on white background that the other way round. Apple, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

5. Marekul macrumors regular

i have 3x home set to invert screen. It’s looking nice most of the time you can quickly toggle...

6. Taipan macrumors 6502

But that's what I'm not getting. It's geared towards users who spend a lot of time in front of their screens, so it should be easier on the eyes. But to me it seems like the opposite is true. Perhaps my eyes are weird.

7. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

I would love this and stacks. Wish I could afford a mac :( I’ll just stick with my 2011 i5 $680 windows 7 4k machine with $700 Samsung 40” monitor. Maybe Apple will make something that isn’t sealed and cost an arm, leg, torso, and first born. Not holding my breath.

8. Winni macrumors 68040

Winni

It's just a desktop theme, like Ubuntu and dozen other Linuxes offer it. You don't have to use it if you don't like it. I personally don't use dark themes -- I type and read a lot of text (and code), and I find dark themes harder to read and more tiring for my eyes. In other words, a dark theme is a useless gimmick for me, but I don't have to use it, so everything's fine.

What I don't get is that people talk about it that much -- is that the only new thing that Mojave brings, is there nothing else to talk about? If so, then that's rather pathetic.

9. mixel macrumors 68000

mixel

I absolutely love dark mode and will not be switching back. As a visual focused user it makes a lot more sense than everything being bright/white. Your content stands out a lot more.

After the initial acclimation it’s clear and unobtrusive.

10. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

So use your IDE in full screen mode. The whole OS? I don’t think you want your front end dude and graphic designer building out your product amidst dark mode.

11. sjtidy macrumors member

Depends what you’re looking at. Video and photo editing, animation, graphic design - all of those professions are suited to dark GUIs. The Adobe suite has defaulted to dark modes for ages.

12. mixel macrumors 68000

mixel

Why the heck not? It literally makes no difference. It’s totally subjective - some people find it easier on the eyes, others find it more difficult on them. There’s no right way but it doesn’t in any way interfere with how applications work.

13. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

Perfect, thanks! I've hoping there was a way to do this. As a developer I was thinking I'd love Dark Mode but I can't get into it.

14. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Why don’t you just look for a used or refurbished one? Older imac’s run just fine. Just make sure it’s newer than 2012 so it will run Mojave.

15. miric macrumors newbie

miric

Facepalm.heic
    I adore such kind of tutorials about so obvious things.

16. mistasopz macrumors 6502

Dark mode: true innovation in macOS these days folks.

17. MadDawg2020 macrumors regular

So in other words it’s in the system preferences - like nearly every other system setting.
    So

18. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

The only issue being no Macs from the 2008 era support Mojave. Tough I guess.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 1, 2018 ---
    Dark Mode has been an option in certain Linux distributions for the last 10 years. However it must be said Apple have done an impressive job with it in Mojave.

19. kissmo macrumors 6502a

Dark Mode makes sense overall. However a toggle for DarkMode/LightMode for each specific app would make even more sense.
    For reading text such as email I am struggling with Dark Mode. When Browsing for files, working with Images the Dark Mode Mojave offers is pleasant.

I am sure most apps might have a setting to do this toggle, but I think a native OS Support would make more sense.
    Something in the Window frame, maybe even in Tabs depending in the use Case.

Not sure if this is reliable, just saying it would be nice for content within the Window.

20. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

Can this be used to turn ON dark mode only for specific apps? I love the look of dark Xcode but I'm not sure I like *all* apps being dark.

21. MrGuder macrumors 68030

Why is there tweetbot on the menu to enable dark mode?

22. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

Nope, I feel the same way. I even have my terminal as black on a beige background.

23. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

Can someone explain what the “accent color” is? What it’s for? I have a somewhat vintage mac and can’t tell, but I’m curious.

24. dionysos283 macrumors newbie

25. rldunn macrumors member

YES! To both of these. My top 2 requests.