How to enable HD Movies and TV Shows on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SethRogen, Apr 30, 2010.

1. SethRogen macrumors 6502

Hey I have some HD movies on my iPad like Star Trek, Up, There Will Be Blood, and many HD Shows.
    The guy at the Apple Store says the iPad 3G plays in HD unlike the iPhone 3GS.
    Does it automatically put it in HD to your iPad or do you have to enable it somehow, and is there a way to just watch the regular version.
    How do you know if it's playing in HD?

Thanks in advance!

2. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

if you dont want to deal with stupid conversions and stuff, get Air Video and stream your movies to the ipad no matter what format there on.

3. registerman macrumors newbie

I think you need a HD Movies to iPad converter tool.Don't warried,I recommend a conversion I used a variety of HD video formats to ipad good site.

http://www.dvdipadconverter.org

Works prefect!

4. smoked macrumors regular

I believe there is a checkbox in iTunes for syncing that let's you choose to put sd content on it, the default is HD.

5. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

This.

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

If the movies are 720p, they'll play fine on the iPad (will downscale, of course), no enabling required. Anything higher resolution won't but as others have recommended, Air Video will convert while you stream if necessary.

7. frankjl macrumors regular

How can a 4:3 ratio be considered HD?

Apples marketing while praised. It is certainly an evil tool to mis inform the public.

Full mode is basically the 2x iPhone app on iPad function disguised.
    That is not HD.

8. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

It's only a 4:3 ratio if it's playing full screen. As for resolution, the iPad screen is definitely HD. So before you accuse Apple of misinforming the public maybe you should learn what you are talking about.

9. Jarmel macrumors member

The Ipad is definitely not ideal for movies due to the aspect ratio.

10. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

Wow, just talked me out of getting one....:eek:

11. hazmatzak macrumors regular

1600x1200 monitors used to be fairly common and can easily display 1280x720, which is HD.

iPads' 1024x768 cannot display 720p without downscaling (to 1024x576) so it's not quite "HD". If you're used to PAL 720x576 (anamorphic), it's only marginally better, but compared to NTSC 720x480 (also anamorphic) it definitely looks "higher def".

More to the point: as long as you're not allergic to the "black bars", movies work great on iPad.