How to externally access external drive connected to a Repeater Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by sergiobaschi, Aug 27, 2014.

1. sergiobaschi macrumors regular

OK folks, this is how my network is configured:

I have a Time Capsule with a 4 TB external HDD connected.

I have an Airport Extreme (5th generation) connected to the network as a repeater, and a 1 TB external HDD connected.

I want to be able to share the content of the 1 TB disk to friends and family – but not the 4 TB disk (or the Time Capsule content).

I tried to connect using afp://myip, but then I only get the option to mount the 4 TB and the Time Capsule. But when I'm connected to my local network, the 1 TB disk appears and works flawlessly.

Any ideas?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is because the Extreme only has a private IP coming from DHCP and NAT on the Time Capsule.

3. sergiobaschi thread starter macrumors regular

Shouldn't I be able to port map to the Extreme?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Theoretically if you can uncover what ports are needed.

5. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

You could create a symbolic link of a file on your HDD. I do this for my itunes folder so my friends and family can access my library.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stream...ry-to-your-iphone-over-the-internet-mac-only/

Use this way to create the symbolic link (this is in the article):
    The easiest way is to download and extract this droplet [Create Symbolic Link]. Drag and drop the iTunes Music folder into the droplet and it will produce a symbolic link for it with a .sym extension back to the same location. Take that link, drop it into the /Library/WebServer/Documents folder and remove the .sym from its name.

You would need to open specific ports on your extreme. I would have to get home and see which ones im thinking 5900.

6. sergiobaschi thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your response, but it seems to me that this solution requires a computer that's always running? That's not what I'm looking for.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I found this and it may be of some use to you...

8. sergiobaschi thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I'll look into it when I'm back home.