its either an x or xs
no one has called or sent a text to the phone
how do i find the owner to return her phone

Reactions: Mr.C and Ralfi

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
Swipe up on the lock screen and when it shows the passcode screen, tap emergency/medical ID and see who is listed..

Reactions: chabig

nawghtyhare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
bay area
Swipe up on the lock screen and when it shows the passcode screen, tap emergency/medical ID and see who is listed..
no one is there
and theres no service so i think they wiped it
i tried making a note on my phone
and taking a pic with their phone from the lock screen saying
"found phone call ***-***-**** to return"
hoping it pops up on their iCloud or something
but noticed no wifi

Banglazed

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
It’s possible the service has been cut off from the carrier already.

You can
  • Get the IMEI number off the device and call the carrier to return the device to their owner or take it to their local store since they may not give personal info over the phone.
  • You may be able to invoke Siri to ask it to call home, mom, dad, brother, recent contact etc.
  • If it’s much of a hassle, drop it off at a local police station for lost and found

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
my wife found an iPhone while at work
its locked
its either an x or xs
Turn it into the Police. It’s ‘found property’ and the owner will likely/might contact the Police to see if any property was turned into them. Either way, it’s the Logical method when finding property that doesn’t belong to you.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If she found it at work isn’t it likely to belong to one of her colleagues?

Can’t she send an email to her colleagues stating that she has found a phone and that if anyone thinks it’s theirs they should contact her?

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
its locked
its either an x or xs
Massive credit to you for attempting to find the owner.

Call Apple if you haven't had any luck.

Edit...long shot - Try "Hey Siri...redial" & if successful, ask the person who the phone belongs to.

Rugburn

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
If she found it at work isn’t it likely to belong to one of her colleagues?

Can’t she send an email to her colleagues stating that she has found a phone and that if anyone thinks it’s theirs they should contact her?
I work in a retail store, so we find lost phones all the time that don’t belong to colleagues. And I also don’t have company email.

FYI, Not everyone works in an office setting.

I think all my usual tricks have been listed (emergency ID, Siri, trying to send a photo to the cloud).

My store also has a bad cell signal, so if they aren’t on WiFi it’s hard too. At my store we keep lost and found 30 days. If it’s an iPhone, I try to charge it with my own cord for a few days to see if they get a call, or give them a shot to use Find my phone.

This is a good reminder to the rest of us to make their phones are easy to return if lost. Use Find My Phone and put an emergency contact in the health app at the very minimum, people!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I work in a retail store, so we find lost phones all the time that don’t belong to colleagues. And I also don’t have company email.

FYI, Not everyone works in an office setting.

I think all my usual tricks have been listed (emergency ID, Siri, trying to send a photo to the cloud).

My store also has a bad cell signal, so if they aren’t on WiFi it’s hard too. At my store we keep lost and found 30 days. If it’s an iPhone, I try to charge it with my own cord for a few days to see if they get a call, or give them a shot to use Find my phone.

This is a good reminder to the rest of us to make their phones are easy to return if lost. Use Find My Phone and put an emergency contact in the health app at the very minimum, people!
I don’t work in an office either and it could belong to a colleague or a patient but I’d still send the email out.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
its locked
its either an x or xs
Take out simcard, look to which tele company it belongs to, contact that company(usually you can do that over facebook) and tell them the number displayed on sim card. They'll know instantly to whom it belongs to.

Reactions: ATC

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Turn it into the Police. It’s ‘found property’ and the owner will likely/might contact the Police to see if any property was turned into them. Either way, it’s the Logical method when finding property that doesn’t belong to you.
If you handed an iPhone into the police in the UK it would just be tossed into a lost property box and forgotten about. Not all police forces have the resources to proactively return lost property to people when most burglaries go unattended or investigated here which is shocking. I’d much rather go the extra effort and try and return it myself.

OP, can you put the sim in another phone to get any numbers off it?

applesir

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
no one is there
and theres no service so i think they wiped it
i tried making a note on my phone
and taking a pic with their phone from the lock screen saying
"found phone call ***-***-**** to return"
hoping it pops up on their iCloud or something
but noticed no wifi
Put your SIM card inside see if there any message pop out though icloud
[doublepost=1541625807][/doublepost]Put your SIM card inside see if there any message pop out though icloud

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Put the found phone's sim into a spare phone and note the mobile number. Even if the sim has been burnt by the carrier the old number would still be readable.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
If you handed an iPhone into the police in the UK it would just be tossed into a lost property box and forgotten about. Not all police forces have the resources to proactively return lost property to people when most burglaries go unattended or investigated here which is shocking. I’d much rather go the extra effort and try and return it myself.
The problem with what you’re suggesting about going the extra effort and trying to return the phone yourself to the owner, is that the longer you keep the device yourself trying to find the owner, the owner likely already could have attempted to contact the Police to see if they had anything turned into them, which if the police would have had a device turned into them immediately, then the owner could have the possibility of claiming the phone rather quickly. It can _easily_ create more of a delay by someone keeping the phone in their possession without turning it into the police.

I work in L.E. for a living, and I gather that law-enforcement doesn’t have the resources to always track down the owner for a cell phone, but if it’s at least logged into evidence, it can be turned back over them rather quickly with a simple phone call from the owner who lost the phone.

Reactions: Rugburn

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The problem with what you’re suggesting about going the extra effort and trying to return the phone yourself to the owner, is that the longer you keep the device yourself trying to find the owner, the owner likely already could have attempted to contact the Police to see if they had anything turned into them, which if the police would have had a device turned into them immediately, then the owner could have the possibility of claiming the phone rather quickly. It can _easily_ create more of a delay by someone keeping the phone in their possession without turning it into the police.

I work in L.E. for a living, and I gather that law-enforcement doesn’t have the resources to always track down the owner for a cell phone, but if it’s at least logged into evidence, it can be turned back over them rather quickly with a simple phone call from the owner who lost the phone.
As I say this depends where you live. The police station in my town is open 3 days a week only so I’d have two options. Try and trace the owner myself or throw the phone over a hedge and forget about it. If you phone the police here you get put through to a call centre 20 miles away who contract officers on your behalf. They wouldn’t give a toss about an iPhone which is why we get so much lost properly advertised through social media.

Advice on this differs depending on location I would say.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
Say "hey siri, who am i?" If the owner has a contact card for themselves, it'll show up.
You should add that you have to touch the contact card too. I just did it and I just got the contact card with my face and when I touched it (on my 6s) it showed what was on my contact card.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You should add that you have to touch the contact card too. I just did it and I just got the contact card with my face and when I touched it (on my 6s) it showed what was on my contact card.
That's not how it works my iPhone. Siri shows my name and the phone numbers on my card.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
That's not how it works my iPhone. Siri shows my name and the phone numbers on my card.
Your phone is older. Though I wonder if my suggestion would be helpful anyway since it's not an X or XS, I would suggest the SIM card suggestion that was made and maybe the address book could be accessed and maybe a contact could be reached and since the owner's name and number is in the address book of his or her contacts when they get the call they could contact the owner and arrange a pickup of the phone. Just a thought.