How to find photos on my hard drive that I have deleted in iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GHicks, Oct 13, 2012.

1. GHicks macrumors newbie

Help! In an attempt to free up some much needed space I have gone through my iphoto library and taken about 5GB of photos from my iphoto library and moved them to an external HDD. I then deleted the albums from iphoto. However, I have just realised that I have only deleted them from the iphoto interface rather than my HDD!

Any suggestions on how I can find photos that I have deleted fom iphoto on my hdd and delete them?

Thanks in advance.

2. DoctorCrap macrumors regular

DoctorCrap

Go to iPhoto and search for those images in everything first.
    Then get and application that can remove data files of applications, I use AppZapper.
    Do not remove the application just the data that is used for the images if you found them.

3. scarred macrumors 6502a

Did you empty the trash in iPhoto itself?

4. archdelux macrumors 6502

not to hijack the thread, but where are the iphoto files stored? I have all my original photos in my Pictures folder, but the 'iphoto library' file is only 100MB, not 100GB like my actual pictures..

5. parc macrumors newbie

This is crap. Your name seems to be your program.

6. GGJstudios, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Freeing up space in Mac OS X
    You need to empty the iPhoto trash. iPhoto > Empty Trash
    iPhoto doesn't save pictures as individual files. It stores them in a single iPhoto library file.

Where iPhoto Pictures are Located and How to Access the iPhoto Library and Picture Files

In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you have "Copy items to the iPhoto library" in this iPhoto pref panel unchecked. With this unchecked the original photos are not moved into the iPhoto library. I keep this checked and just drag all photos into iPhoto then delete the originals and backup the iPhoto library of course.

[​IMG]

8. archdelux macrumors 6502

Well, actually I do have it checked. I want to keep the orginal files and just have iPhoto make a copy. It seems that it did this just fine, but I don't know where it is storing the 100GBs of files. As I mentioned before, the 'iphoto library' file is only 100MB..

----------

But then why is my iphoto library file only 100MB, when it is clear from the harddrive space that it cost 100GB of space..it seems that iphoto is storing the files elsewhere..I just don't know where

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... with that checked the photos should also be stored in the iPhoto library and it would be at least as large as the folders you mentioned. Are all the photos from the folders shown in iPhoto? If so, they must by in the library. Have you at some point dragged all those photos into iPhoto?

10. archdelux macrumors 6502

I imported the pics within iphoto and everything is showing up as it should. iPhoto works just fine, but I just have no idea where everything is being stored and so I don't know what to backup in case something happens..

I restarted the computer several times, restarted iphoto, etc. the iPhoto library file is still only 100MB..

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I wonder if you have two iPhoto libraries. One with all the photos that your are seeing in iPhoto and another somewhere that you are looking at as only 100MB?

Hold down the option key when you start iPhoto and you will get a window like this to select which iPhoto library to use. Is it showing the path (my arrow) to the same one you are seeing as 100MB?

[​IMG]

12. archdelux macrumors 6502

Thanks! I did what you said and it was the same file, checked the file again and suddenly the size is up to 100GB.. weird.. thanks - for some reason just doing that mysteriously changed the file size