How to find size of selected files as a whole?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Libertine Lush, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Greetings,

I'm used to being able to find out the file size of a group of files I've selected in Windows' Explorer or Desktop by right-clicking one of the selected files and selecting Properties. I haven't been able to find a way to do anything similar in OSX Snow Leopard. Is it possible to find out the size of a group of user-selected files?

Thank you!

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Select the files.
    Then use CMD-Alt-i (Cmd-Option-i)
    you will get a single info window with sum total size.

3. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah! Thanks a lot.

Now that I know what the keyboard shortcut is I noticed I can also right click and hold down ALT and it shows a "Show Inspector" option which does that same thing. But then I also noticed that if I hold down Control instead it displays a "Get Summary Info." The resulting "Multiple Item Info" window that pops up displays the exact same information. Is there any difference choosing "Show Inspector" or "Get Summary Info"?

Also, is there any way to have this size info displayed within the Finder window rather than opening up another window? Perhaps through customization in settings or a plugin?

Thanks again.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Alt = Windows term

Cmd (Command) = Mac term

Cmd/Alt = key on a "universal" keyboard

:)

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You are more or less correct…

Windows Alt = Mac Option
    But since on my Apple keyboard it is printed as alt it is easier to say… alt. ;)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The alt key actually maps to the Option key on a Mac keyboard, not the Command key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_key

7. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. Try selecting File -> Show Inspector, then changing the selection in Finder without closing the inspector window.

I'm afraid not.

9. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see the difference now! Looks like this will be quite useful. Thanks, BlueRevolution.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not on my keyboard! USB 2.0 Keyboard by Matias.

http://matias.ca/usb2keyboard/index.php#

(click on the image "for PC & Mac")

But, you know, thinking about that some more, out of the box, the Cmd and Option keys didn't do what I expected. Their functions were reversed. I vaguely remember fixing that. I just checked in my Keyboard Prefs Pane, and went to Modifier Keys. Option is set to Command and Command is set to Option. So on the keyboard itself (see image in link) they got it wrong!

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Actually, you got it wrong. ⌘ = command, ⌥ = option. You're looking at the PC labels.

(You do know that all USB keyboards work with both Macs and PCs, right?)

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes, I know. But the first part of your post eludes my understanding.

A previous poster disputed my claim that Command and Alt are the Mac and Windows terms for the same key functions, saying that it's really Option and Alt. I was fooled by my keyboard, then remembered that I'd noticed a discrepancy. I'm saying that Matias got that wrong on my keyboard, and provided a link leading to an image of it. They got the functions correct, but mislabeled the keys. In order for me to go by what I see on the keyboard, I flipped the key functions in preferences. Nothing in this thread refers to the symbols for Command and Option, so how could I have gotten that wrong?

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ah, I'm sorry. I must have read too quickly. As you say, Matias got it wrong.