How to fix picture quality with an external monitor on a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by refund, Dec 26, 2010.

1. refund macrumors newbie

Overall picture quality is fine, however, the font and windows are blurry. Is there a fix??

2. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

SOunds like a resolution problem, whats the specs on the monitor?

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You're most likely in the mirroring mode. In the Monitors preference pane, you'll have the option between extended desktop and mirrored screen. Choose extended desktop, which will allow you to run the two displays at different resolutions (1280*800 on the MacBook, whatever it is on the external screen, most likely 1920*1080).

4. jim4spam macrumors member

How are you connecting the external monitor? I used a displayport -> VGA adaptor and it looked blurry for fonts on my macbook. I then changed stuff around and used a displayport -> DVI and it was much better.

5. refund thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a Samsung P2770HD HDTV / Monitor. 27inch 1080p lcd. I have adjust the picture and that's fine. But reading a or looking at any window that is open is just blurry. There is glow around the font and the grey around isn't right.??

6. refund thread starter macrumors newbie

I just updated to 10.6 today BTW. I see the option for mirror I don't see extended desktop. The external is 1920*1080

7. Surely Guest

Surely

While this is true, you can achieve the external monitor's resolution in mirror mode.

When I first connect my MBP to my external monitor, the resolution looks off because it is running the MBP's screen resolution on the external monitor. However, I then put my MBP to sleep, and when I wake it, it wakes in the external monitor's ideal resolution.

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

How does it cope with the resolution difference then? By downscaling the image on the MBP's display?

9. refund thread starter macrumors newbie

mini-dvi adapter then dvi to hdmi cord.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

I run the MBP in clamshell, so its monitor isn't on.

I assume that the MBP determines the external monitor's optimal resolution and runs it at that on the external.

11. refund thread starter macrumors newbie

To everyone - this is my first experience with a tech forum before and this is a great source thanks!

I just tried that and the res is a little better. There is still a little weird glow around the font on safari?

12. refund thread starter macrumors newbie

Dumb question - what does mirror do exactly. And to operate in clam shell is there a setting for that or is that just closing the MBP

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Glad to help. :cool:

Hmm, that I'm not too sure about. That doesn't happen when I connect my MBP to my LG monitor or to my Samsung HDTV.

Perhaps you need to adjust the settings on the actual monitor to correct that?

Mirror just means that the external monitor's display will look exactly the same as what is on your MacBook's screen.

There is no actual setting for clamshell.... you just need to close the lid, wait for sleep, and wake it up.

14. ucdesai macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You may want to adjust the sharpness on the monitor. Reduce the sharpness a little bit.

15. refund thread starter macrumors newbie

Without beating a dead horse - but - the safari browser in silver and there is this weird white glow around the black font?

16. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm really not sure....... I'd try adjusting your monitor's settings.... sharpness, contrast, etc.....

17. Detrius macrumors 68000

My Mac mini looks strange if I connect it via HDMI, but it looks fine on the same monitor if I use DVI. No idea why, though. Just a thought. It's a Samsung 1080p monitor too--don't know the model right off.

18. refund thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting - i will try that otherwise I think i will be sending this back. Spent to much to have it look like this. Of course now my laptop looks like a notebook.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

You may have already done this, but putting this out there just in case:

Have you verified that the monitor is set "know" the HDMI source is a computer rather than something else?

When I hooked my mid-2010 MBP13 to my Viewsonic 24" panel I had to change a setting on the monitor to use HDMI-PC instead of HDMI-AV. When I did that the monitor scaled the 1080p image pixel for pixel instead of overscanning and ending up with some weird effects on text due to the scaling from the overscan.

20. refund thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like you are a lot smarter than me on this stuff - but I thought I would put out there that I just bought the mini dvi to VGA adapter and it works. So to however it was that had that idea thanks!!