How to fix the “RAW” drive problems?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dianaele014, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Dianaele014 macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone! I have some troublesome hard drive problems and hope you can help me out!
    Several days ago, my external hard drive was borrowed by my friend for some data transformation. However, after that, every time I attempted to use this drive on my Mac, an error message would be given and asked me to format it at first. But, many of my important files were still stored there. I cannot directly format it. So, I checked the “Properties”. Everything seemed well, except that the file system was changed into “RAW”. Do you know something about the “RAW” problems? How can I get back my important files from this RAW drive without formatting?

2. D00emi00 macrumors newbie

OK! Don’t worry! The RAW hard drive problem is not difficult to fix. In fact, as I know, the RAW hard drive problems are often caused by many reasons, such as the improper operations, virus infections and even hard drive problems, etc. But, in most cases, it can be easily fixed by re-formatting.

So, you also can try to format this RAW drive to fix its RAW problems.

However, considering about the safety of the inner stored data, you’d better firstly try to retrieve them back off from this RAW drive with a RAW drive data recovery program in case that the formatting process makes everything worse.

Nowadays, there are many similar hard drive data recovery programs that can help you retrieve your inaccessible data off from this RAW drive and restore your RAW file system back into previous NTFS file system latter. But not all of them can work as efficiently as you hope.

So, if you cannot make your own decision, you can try to use some RAW drive data recovery freeware at firstly, which often work much more efficiently than some paid ones, such as PC Inspector File Recovery, TestDisk, Recuva and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

Note:
    Do not forget to format this drive after the data recovery process and see whether the RAW problem can be completely fixed.
    Next time, I hope you can always remember to back up everything important.

3. Dianaele014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your detailed answer!
    It seems that only you are interested in my question. So, I read your answer carefully and know that the formatting process can help me out.
    So, I follow your advice and try your mentioned data recovery program. They are really great. Now, I have restored all my wanted data and also saved this hard drive by re-formatting.
    Thank you very much!

4. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a