How to free 28GB of disk space reserved by Windows after a fresh Boot Camp install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nomopah, Jul 27, 2012.

1. nomopah macrumors newbie

After a fresh Windows x64 Boot Camp install on a 16GB rMBP, I noticed that 28GB of precious SSD space was already taken. Since the Boot Camp partition was relatively small, I wanted to recover that unavailable space.

Turns out it's due to Windows' Hibernation and Virtual Memory (pagefile). Hibernation reserves a file that's 75% the size of total RAM, and virtual memory reserves a file equal to 100% total RAM. So for a 16GB rMBP, Total used = (16*0.75 + 16) = 28GB, before even starting to use Windows.

Here's instructions on how to recover the space.

http://danalexander.org/2012/07/macbook-pro-boot-camp-disk-space-recovery/

Disabling hibernation is fine for most people, so long as you don't use Windows for work (ie. you won't lose any sleep over the laptop shutting down without saving if the battery dies). Lastly, please don't try to disable/customize your pagefile if you're unsure about something.

I hope this helps anyone trying to do the same thing.

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

I don't think your MBPR has only 16GB of SSD storage.

3. mdapple macrumors regular

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Is this a bad attempt to be funny or did you genuinely not realise he was referring to the MBP with 16GB RAM?

5. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

agreed :D

this thread is going to go places before getting back on track lol

(tagged so I can later apply the 'fix' to the partition)

6. jcpb macrumors 6502a

28GB can be a lot of space or barely perceptible depending on both the size of the SSD and the size of the bootcamp partition.

Either way, OP could have searched the forums first...

7. macjolt macrumors member

I don't understand why OP needed to point out his machine had 16GB of RAM in his original post, it just makes for a confusing read.

8. icowboys macrumors newbie

Because the size of reserved disk space is directly proportional to the amount of available RAM.

9. yezza macrumors regular

OP - I see value in your post, and had no trouble in understanding your explanation. Thanks.

10. nomopah, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

nomopah thread starter macrumors newbie

Searched for what? Allocating 100GB for Boot Camp, then discovering that over a quarter (excluding Windows itself) of that space is tied up before installing any applications is discouraging.

That's right. rMBP with 16GB of RAM have 28GB of disk space reserved, while rMBP with 8GB of RAM have 14GB reserved.