How to gain body fat in a healthy way.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KnightWRX, May 12, 2011.

1. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Seriously. Is there even a way ? After my recent body composition evaluation, I find that I'm now stuck with 11 lbs of body fat, which for my weight means I only have 7.6%. In under 10 C temps, riding the motorcycle is not as enjoyable as it used to be because of this.

Now, how do you gain back about 5 lbs of fat without just sitting on the couch eating donuts for 3 weeks ?

Yes, part of this thread is me showing off. :D

2. torbjoern, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

There are limits for how much energy your body can store per day, so try to spread it as evenly as possible. 4 ounces per day shouldn't be too hard; you just have to consume at least 1000 kcal more than your body needs per day. That would be 200-250 kcal extra per meal.

Strike a balance between carbs, meat and vegetables (25/25/50) for health reasons, but keep the portions large.

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

4. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

Fattissue doesn't produce warmth, muscle does. Muscle is also heavier then fat.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Let me get this straight, you want a layer of blubber to insulate you when you motorcycle in the cold? Bwahahahahahahahahha!

Insulated leathers or a thinsulate underlayer...or use a car when cold.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No. That is not healthy at all. Go to the gym and start learning to lift. You do NOT want extra body fat. Go gain muscle. It's your best bet.

7. KnightWRX thread starter macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I am lifting and gaining muscle. That's the problem really, I need to gain back about 5 lbs of fat to be at the magic 10% number according to the InBody test machine. :D

I doubt there's even an healthy way to do this anyhow so mostly I just invested in heated clothing for the motorcycle instead.

Again, mostly showing off, I'm not serious about gaining fat. I don't want to lose my newly acquired 6 pack.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How is a bit of fat "unhealthy"?

If you don't want to go crazy on the cake, then reduce your cardio at the gym by half, and don't consume protein shakes or anything. Instead of the shakes, eat almonds. They contain the protein you need for your body to repair, and yet contains good fats. Eat around 20 almonds for awhile, and you should be OK.

Otherwise, there has been lots of good advice in the Bacon thread. ;)

9. KnightWRX thread starter macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

When did I say that ? I asked how you gained fat in a healthy fashion... which is kind of hard, since a healthy lifestyle promotes shedding body fat or at least maintaining your current levels.

I doubt that's going to gain me any body fat, more like muscle mass. ;) But then again, I'd probably lose a bit of flexibility and I'm almost there on my split. I don't do protein shakes btw.

Anyway I'm going to tough it out. Most sites I've read about the unhealthy consequences of low body fat have more to do with losing it quickly than actual consequences of having low body fat. It's not like I'm an anorexic girl (seriously, are all sites about low body fat about anorexic girls ?) shedding weight here because I don't eat. I eat 6 meals a day as it stands (2 hours workout, 40 minutes cardio, 5 times a week).

10. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I still have no clue how you get by only ingesting the RDA for protein, but 7.9% body fat is impressive. Props

11. Nathaniell macrumors newbie

A pound of fat has 3500 calories...only 500 more calories than your daily allowance will get you a pound a week (7 days, uh)

Get it from protein and carbohydrates instead of simple sugars.

Remember, your counting calories, not fat. Fat will help, but it will just make you fat. You can get healthy weight by concentrating on calories from other sources like the protein and complex carbs.

Also, you can check what your daily allowance of calories is on the internet..appx of course. Should be around 2000-2500, but depends on height, weight, age, activeness etc.

12. KnightWRX thread starter macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

At 2000-2500, I shed about 1 lbs a week. I'm on a 3000 calorie diet right now and it's barely enough to maintain, much less gain weight. The other problem, is all the weight I do gain is muscle mass, because of the lifting, cardio and stretching I do.

So I'm basically stuck here. Couch and donuts it is. :D (Which I won't do, who's gonna stare at the babes at the gym if I ain't there to do it ?).

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I'm sure there are plenty of eligible men ready to take your place.

14. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

15. Sackvillenb, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

more calories and healthy fats

As a biologist, I have 2 simple suggestions:

1) More calories. Seems obvious, yup, but you need to get your calories from the right source. You could eat donuts and pizza and bacon all day, and you would gain weight, but that would be very bad for your health. So, eat more complex carbs (avoid simple carbs, as always). You can eat more protein, but that won't help very much in and of itself (your body must use energy to break down protein, so it's not as efficient for gaining fat... unless you eat fatty meat but that's not good for you). And this brings me to suggestion # 2:

2) Eat more healthy fats. Everything from olive oil to fish oil and omega oils and nut oils. I'm not suggesting you take oil supplements (although you certainly can, and some of these are good for you anyway), but eat foods that contain these oils. Nuts, flax seeds, etc., fish like shad or salmon that are kind of fatty/oily, etc. Fats have the most calorie density of any food (three times more than carbs), so it's a good way to add on calories and weight. But you need to eat healthy fats... if you want to stay healthy :)

Of course, you could just eat a ton of bacon all the time. That would work. And it would be delicious. But you should stick to healthier fats :)

Oh, and finally, since you do work out I'll mention this: to gain weight you need to take in more calories than you burn. So, it's not enough to simply eat more calories in your case, because you are burning off calories by exercising. You need to make sure you take in MORE calories than what you are burning off, so you need to factor in your exercise and compensate for that.

Good luck!

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As I saw in the simpsons, use poptarts instead of bread

17. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Pffft...rookie. Forget the donuts. Plow through a couple of these and plop yourself in front of a XBOX 360 and you'll bulk up in no time :D You may also want to carry around a defibrillator too, just in case.

[​IMG]

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Youwza, that's a heart attack waiting to happen.

19. mstrze macrumors 68000

You main reason for wanting to gain body fat is flawed. Your skin is the part of your body that measures whether you feel hot or cold. How would extra fat underneath your skin keep you feeling warmer on a bike ride?

20. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

You'd be surprised at how well it can insulate.

Crap, I can sit in a beach-chair in mid January, in New Hampshire, wearing a tee shirt and shorts, it's all good.

Yes, it's not blubber, but it does have some insulating effect... either that, or just lugging around a huge @$$ is a lot of work, and maybe that's why I'm always warm. :confused:

21. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

It works for whales and seals... explain that!

22. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Maybe it's because he wasn't serious in the first place?

The dude just wanted to brag about his body fat %. Around 9% is where you don't even have to flex to show your six pack. The guy is at 7.6%

23. mstrze macrumors 68000

My guess is that whales and seals don't register/feel cold on the surface of their skin like humans do. A layer of fat will keep internal temps higher, but there is no way it will cut down on the effect of wind chill on a bike ride.

24. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

As an experiment I sat on my tuchus for a month and ceased working out or doing anything intensive. I ate my normal foods all the while and after the month I had lost weight. My muscle may have atrophied or I may have lost body fat; I didn't measure my body fat percentage beforehand.

25. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

lots of bread and eggs and noodles as well as fish. should have no problem putting fat on overloading on carbs and fat. Simply: put in more calories than you burn daily and you will gain 'weight' Perhaps instead of sacrificing your fitness you could wear some additional clothes when riding your motorbike and keep your physique. your choice though.