How to get a chrome strip on your iPhone 4 (without changing parts)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tok Tok, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Tok Tok, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012

Tok Tok macrumors newbie

A while ago I choose to change the metal around my iPhone to a chrome surface. I got a some enthousiastic reactions over the past few weeks and I decided to share the video I made with other people as my friends wanted to do the same but didn't know how I did it. This is the result:

[​IMG]

And here's the link to youtube for the DIY video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTrdy0OHypk

Enjoy! (sorry for the bad english)

2. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Good video. I polished my iPhone 4 about a year ago by hand using the same sandpaper, wet paper and finally polish method, I love the finish and it sure gets some comments!

A few pointers I would like to add.

When usin wet sand paper be careful to not let water get in to phone. Put the paper on a bench and rub te phone on it so water can't enter it.

When using polish it would be wise to keep it out of the speaker holes and connector hole at bottom, use some blue tak or similar to stop it entering these areas. If polish gets in to the speaker it can and does result in a tinny and quiet sound.

Finally, if using a power tool to apply the polish be sure to keep it on a low speed and do not stay in one place on the phone for much time as the band very easily heats (a lot!) up which can cause damage.

Other than that this is an easy thing to do if you have the right tools and spare time.