Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbambo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
I have some old files I need to get some zip disk, but my zip drive does not seem to operate with OS 10.14. Does anyone know of a solution?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
It's possible the driver is no longer included in the OS (not surprising!). Can you get your hands on more 'vintage' hardware? Or can you virtualize the same? (i.e. load up OS X10.5 on a VM in VMware)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
There's some discussion in this thread; it appears that a USB Zip drive will "just work" with OS 10.12 (see post #7). It may be possible to install 10.12 to an external hard drive, boot from it, and then access the Zip disks from there.

Reactions: ignatius345

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have a 2018 Mac Mini running 10.14.6.

Some months' back, I found a USB ZIP100 drive in the recycle bin at the recycle center, and brought it home. It looked like it was brand new.

I plugged it into my Mini before writing this, and inserted a ZIP100 disk (I've had around for MANY years).
The disk spun up and the icon mounted on the desktop.

So... we can be sure that the USB ZIP100 drive -DOES WORK- on a Mac running Mojave. It's sitting there running right now as I type this.

OP:
Do you have the ZIP drive connected?
If so, are any lights on (on the drive, WITHOUT a disk inserted into it)?
What happens when you insert a ZIP disk?
Does it spin up? (even if it doesn't mount on the desktop)

Answer these questions -- ALL of them.
Then we can go forward...

Reactions: wbeasley

DWW613

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2020
I have the same issue/question. I'm running a Macbook Pro with Catalina 10.15.5, I also tried it on my Macbook Air running 10.13. The same results:

I plugged in an Iomega Zip 250 drive, the lights turned on without a disk in it, it made a whirring noise. I put a disk into it, it spins up. Then it does not appear to mount.

One bit of background that may or may not matter: The Zip disks might be empty (I doubt it but I guess it's possible). The files on them were created with a Gateway PC about twenty years ago.

Thanks in advance for any direction.

OP:
Do you have the ZIP drive connected?
If so, are any lights on (on the drive, WITHOUT a disk inserted into it)?
What happens when you insert a ZIP disk?
Does it spin up? (even if it doesn't mount on the desktop)

Answer these questions -- ALL of them.
Then we can go forward...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"One bit of background that may or may not matter: The Zip disks might be empty (I doubt it but I guess it's possible). The files on them were created with a Gateway PC about twenty years ago.
Thanks in advance for any direction."

I'll offer advice.
Do this ONLY WITH A DISK THAT HAS NOTHING IMPORTANT ON IT.

Connect the ZIP drive and put a disk into it. Let it spin up, even if it doesn't mount on the desktop.

Open disk utility.

VERY IMPORTANT: In the view menu, choose "show all devices".

Can you see the ZIP drive "on the left" now?
Even if there isn't "a disk" yet?

If you can see it, try clicking on it.
Then click "erase".
I suggest trying "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format".

Does this change anything?

DWW613

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2020
Connect the ZIP drive and put a disk into it. Let it spin up, even if it doesn't mount on the desktop.

Open disk utility.

VERY IMPORTANT: In the view menu, choose "show all devices".

Can you see the ZIP drive "on the left" now?

I followed the above instructions - the Iomega drive does NOT appear in the sidebar.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
For several legacy reasons, I have several zip disks in service. In fact, up until recently, I used them regularly enough at work that I went to the trouble of fitting an internal one to my MP 1,1(where it works just like it did on a PowerMac Quicksilver with a factory one aside from having to rig the ODD door to stay open all the time).

The last time I used a USB one in Mojave several months ago, it just worked also. It showed up on the desktop, I was able to read it, and when I unmounted it the drive kicked the disk out automatically.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
DWW613 wrote:
"I followed the above instructions - the Iomega drive does NOT appear in the sidebar."

Some more things to try (may or may not help).
- Do you have the same problem with EVERY ZIP disk you have? (try them all)
- Do you have any ZIP100 disks? (the 250 drive can use them, right...?)
- Leave the ZIP disk in the drive (spun up, if possible) and REBOOT the Mac. When you get to the finder, has anything changed? (the ZIP100 disks have an "on-disk driver" that the Mac reads at bootup, after which the drive is recognized).

Again, no promises.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
"How are people hooking them up to a newer Mac ?"

Via USB, of course... ;)
(later ZIPs did come with a USB connector)

Mine was the parallel port version and I'd forgotten all about it, but I can remember the very night I bought it at one the big box computer stores. It lived on top of my ridiculously tall Gateway 2000 tower case.

Last edited:

rte19

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
We had the same issue, wanted to get some stuff off our old Zip discs. Currently am using Mojave, 10.14.6. After several tries plugging in the old Zip drive without any luck, suddenly it spun to life. I inserted a disc and it mounted! Amazing. Maybe the motor just needed a little more juice, after 10 years of not being used. Good luck to whoever is trying to get it working above.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
pullu --

What size ZIP disks do you have?
Any ZIP100 disks?

Can you explain exactly what isn't working?

pullulator

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Seattle
I have ZIP100, ZIP250, and MAC100 disks. My drive is connected to my 2019 15" MacBook Pro using USB and Apple's USB-A to USB-C adapter. When I connect the drive to the MacBook, any disc that is inserted appears in Disk Utility but is grayed out and cannot be mounted or erased. When I try to mount, a message appears that includes disk error 49153.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"When I connect the drive to the MacBook, any disc that is inserted appears in Disk Utility but is grayed out and cannot be mounted or erased. When I try to mount, a message appears that includes disk error 49153."

I don't know if this will help, but try it in the EXACT ORDER presented:
1. power down, all the way off
2. connect the ZIP drive and insert a disk (it won't spin yet, but insert it anyway)
3. power on the MacBook
4. log in and get to the finder
Does the ZIP disk mount on the desktop now?
Or... same error msg?

pullulator

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Seattle
"When I connect the drive to the MacBook, any disc that is inserted appears in Disk Utility but is grayed out and cannot be mounted or erased. When I try to mount, a message appears that includes disk error 49153."

I don't know if this will help, but try it in the EXACT ORDER presented:
1. power down, all the way off
2. connect the ZIP drive and insert a disk (it won't spin yet, but insert it anyway)
3. power on the MacBook
4. log in and get to the finder
Does the ZIP disk mount on the desktop now?
Or... same error msg?
I followed your procedure exactly, with the same result. The ZIP100 disk in the drive will not mount and the same error message appears.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have a 2018 Mac Mini which normally runs Mojave.

But in response to some posts in this thread, this morning I rebooted to Big Sur, then connected my old USB ZIP drive (that I found at a computer recycling bin).

Popped in a ZIP100 disk, and it mounted right up on the desktop.

So I think it's safe to say that -- all other conditions being normal -- the original ZIP100 drive still works with the Mac, "all the way up" to Big Sur.
At least on Intel-based Macs.

I've never had my hands on an m1 Mac, can't test the ZIP with one...

pullulator

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Seattle
I have the problem not only my 2019 MacBook Pro but also with my 2020 MacBook Air, both running Big Sur 11.2.3 and both including Intel CPUs. Perhaps the problem is with the USB-A to USA-C adapter, or the Zip 250 drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.