Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartboy919

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Hey guys, I have recently been throttled on my iPhone 4S using AT&T, but have noticed that there is a work around for this, which simply requires changing some APN settings.

I have found a guide for this, but unfortunately it is for Android, and there doesn't appear to be any way to change the Phones APN settings from within the phone itself.

So, my question is, could I change the APN settings on my iPhone to reflect the settings in this guide? I'm sure it is possible, as I have a jailbroken phone, I just have come up with dead ends when trying to find a way to change them. What do you think?

Bartboy919

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
You have to allow APN editing in the carrier bundle or install a Cydia tweak for it.

Any specific tweak in cydia that will let me do that? APN editor which is in the stock sources did not work at all, couldn't even download it.

Bartboy919

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Would this really go around AT&T detecting unofficial tethering on your iphone?
Just because it works on some androids would it have the same results on an unlimited iphone data plan?

The APN is a universal standard all GSM phones have. If it works on android phones, there should be no problem with it working on an iPhone, or even a blackberry for that matter.

Bartboy919

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Applejuiced said:
But the subject is about throttling, not tethering.

Oh, that's right.
My mistake:)
So when you get throttled, change the APN and still get decent speeds instead of worst than edge downloads.
Good find if it works.

It was a fantastic find, the only problem is that I have yet to find a way to edit the APN settings on my phone. It is really quite irritating actually.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
If your jailbroken and install Tetherme u can have access to those settings. The android guide is for LTE phones, which can fall back to HSPA+, so I'm not sure trick works with the 4s.

Last edited:

Bartboy919

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

rgarjr said:
If your jailbroken and install Tetherme u can have access to those settings. The android guide is for LTE phones, which can fall back to HSPA+, so I'm not sure trick works with the 4s.

What the settings do is force the phone to utilize HSPA+ speeds, which is all the iPhone 4S is capable of utilizing, so, in theory, this should make it so your phone will never be throttled.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Changing APN settings will not fix throttling.
You're phone is throttled based on its IMEI number, so switching APN settings is pointless.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The APN will obviously work but will AT&T eventually detect it used on an iphone for unofficial tethering?

If APNs are being used to get around throttling OR tethering, you can bet it's probably just a matter of time before AT&T finds a workaround to the workaround.

This is gonna be a continual arms race, just like jailbreaking.

----------

Changing APN settings will not fix throttling.
You're phone is throttled based on its IMEI number

Untrue. You can swap the SIM of a throttled device to a new phone with a different IMEI, and that new device will be throttled. This article and video demonstrate that.

Throttling is line-specific, not based on IMEI.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The APN will obviously work but will AT&T eventually detect it used on an iphone for unofficial tethering?

But the subject is about throttling, not tethering.
But if this "solution" solves the throttling problem, but creates the problem where AT&T threatens to automatically switch the user's data plan to a tethering data plan (that costs $20/month more), what's the point? :confused:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
If APNs are being used to get around throttling OR tethering, you can bet it's probably just a matter of time before AT&T finds a workaround to the workaround.

This is gonna be a continual arms race, just like jailbreaking.

...with the added bonus that if AT&T finds you, they'll gladly charge you extra and change you to another data plan- forcing you out of the Unlimited.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
...with the added bonus that if AT&T finds you, they'll gladly charge you extra and change you to another data plan- forcing you out of the Unlimited.

Hard to say what they'd do if they found people using APN bait-and-switch to get around throttling.

But we've known since day one that the Unlimited plan isn't meant for tethering, so I have no sympathy for someone who finds themselves in that situation.

Bartboy919

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005

scaredpoet said:

Hard to say what they'd do if they found people using APN bait-and-switch to get around throttling.

But we've known since day one that the Unlimited plan isn't meant for tethering, so I have no sympathy for someone who finds themselves in that situation.

If they boot me off unlimited, I could care less. The only reason I have changed to the 3 gig tier is due to the off chance there would be a way around it.

In essence, im going to stick with unlimited or die trying.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Throttling and tethering are two different subject matters.

Is the OP concernened about getting caught getting around throttling? Or tethering?

Bartboy919

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Throttling and tethering are two different subject matters.

Is the OP concernened about getting caught getting around throttling? Or tethering?

Throttling, though I will also use tethering, but have PDA net, which hides the tethering activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.