How to get downloaded files overwritten in the downloads folder, instead of renamed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bensoussan, Oct 15, 2011.

1. bensoussan macrumors newbie

Hi,

I wonder if this is possible to adjust system settings in order to get downloaded files overwritten instead of remamed (with a figure at the end of the file), when a file with the same name is downloaded several times.

(The reason I want to do that is to minimize the number of steps I need to do when I download a file from iCloud, update it, upload it back to the cloud, update it from an iOS device, and download it back to my mac for further upload, before obviously uploading it back. Woaw, I wish Apple had made this process easier!)

Thanks for any hints.

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Switch off automatic downloads.
    Then it will ask you what to do, you'll select download and the folder to save it in (comes up automatically, last one used), and it will say "file with same name exists, overwrite or rename?" (or words to that affect) and you'll select overwrite.

3. bensoussan thread starter macrumors newbie

How am I supposed to switch off automatic Downloads

Thanks for your suggestion, but I cannot figure out how i could switch off automatic downloads. I have been searching for this unsuccessfully.

Can you give me a hint?

Thanks anyway!