how to get Exposé and Dashboard back in Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacCrank, Dec 2, 2011.

1. MacCrank, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

MacCrank macrumors member

How can I set F3 to view like this (pic from my old macbook) I don't like the windows hiding behind one another that it does on new macbook Pro.

[​IMG]

Also, How can I set F4 to view this this (pic from my old macbook)

[​IMG]

Suppose its just what I am use to from prev macbook.

2. simsaladimbamba

As you use Lion, Apple uses a new form of Exposé, which is not as good (in my eyes, others love it) as the older form of Exposé, which is the reason for me staying with 10.6.
    Btw, your images don't show up.

3. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Will post pics up in a mo. Had a glitch.

So I can't have it the same as before?

4. simsaladimbamba

You can try "Application Windows" via a Hot Corner, but other than that, I don't know.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads?
    [​IMG]

5. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

OK. Thanks. Yes I have added that to hot corner. Very annoying if I can't get this.

6. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Pics added. How can I get these back set to a key (F3 and F4)?

7. simsaladimbamba

Dashboard can't be brought back to that way, and I also don't know how to show all windows like that in Lion.
    Maybe someone will write a proper Exposé & Spaces application for Lion, or maybe it already exists.

If you want to attract more responses, maybe edit your thread title to something like "how to get Exposé and Dashboard back in Lion?" or something along those lines, as your title is not that descriptive..
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

8. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Bud. Done. ;)

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Go to System Preferences> Mission Control> and deselect Show Dashboard as a space to get it back to the previous way. As for the Expose, it is what it is and as of now there is no way to change it back to the previous way.

10. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. :D
    I was thinking it wasn't working then because when pressing F4 on my Macbook Pro, it comes up as this:

[​IMG]

but as I have connected a wireless keyboard up when I press F4 on that it comes up as this :D (TVM):

[​IMG]

So assume it only works on the wireless keyboard?

11. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

Keyboard Shortcuts and Function Flip

I use System Preferences/Keyboard/Keyboard Shortcuts as well as a little program called FunctionFlip to get my keys to do what I want. If you play around enough, you might find a combination that you like.

12. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

F5 and F6 on Wireless Keyboard?

Without creating another thread:

How can I set the F5 and F6 on Wireless Keyboard to what i want? Is there a way? I want the function of F4 on my macbook Pro to work on my Wireless Keyboard. Will this FunctionFlip work?

TIA

13. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

FunctionFlip is free so you might as well try it. When I first started using it, I wanted a way to disable just the f8 play/pause. I would accidentally bump it and iTunes would start up and play the first song in my library--annoying. So now, in order to play/pause I had to hit fn-f8. All the other keys worked as normal (f1 dim, f2 brighter, f3 mission control, etc).

Later, in System Preferences/Keyboard shortcuts, I set f4 to activate Launchpad instead of Dashboard. I used FunctionFlip to make fn-f4 do Dashboard. Though I never use it, it's good to know there is a way to get there (I have disabled Dashboard from being a space in mission control).

I'm not sure why your wireless keyboard function keys aren't mirroring your MacBookPro keyboard. It may depend what you want f5 and f6 to do. For instance, on my MacBookPro, these change the brightness of the keyboard backlight. These function keys will not have the same effect on my external keyboard because this keyboard doesn't have a backlight.

Could you give a little more information about what you're attempting. I'm definitely no expert--just a tinkerer. I messed around a lot before I was satisfied with my navigation/interface experience. Changing Keyboard Shortcuts and using FunctionFlip has helped with this.

----------

There's one more thing that can be overlooked, obvious though it may seem. Be conscious of how you've selected/de-selected the box labeled "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys. When this option is selected, press the Fn key to use the special features printed on each key." It is found in System preferences/keyboard. This could throw off all your settings. I like the printed special features for the most part. I use FunctionFlip to determine their inverse (fn-f1). If I had this box selected, the FunctionFlip function would be primary; the printed function would be secondary. Use them in tandem to pick and choose your functions.

14. MacCrank, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your detailed reply. I tried FunctioFlip and F5 & F6 are not listed on FunctionFlip. Surely these 2 blank keys can be set to something or pointless being there?

I would like F5 on my wireless keyboard to mirror what I have on my macbook.

Screen shot of F5 pressed on my macbook and viewed on dual monitors. (it views all applications):

[​IMG]

15. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the extra information. I now see what you mean in that f5 and f6 are not available in FunctionFlip for the external keyboard. No problem. All you want to do is have "Launchpad" to be launched by f5. In Lion, Go to System Preferences/Keyboard/Keyboard Shortcuts tab. Select "Launchpad & Dock" from the left menu. In the right menu, double click the shortcut for "Show Launchpad." Then press the F5 button on your keyboard. Next, select "Mission Control" from the left menu. On the right, make sure that you don't have any conflict on the right. OSX won't be happy if you try to assign more than one task to the same key. I'm surprised that F5 shows Launchpad on your MacBookPro. Usually that's the keyboard dimmer.

16. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Firstly sorry I meant I wanted F5 on the wireless keyboard to mirror my launchpad (F4) on my macbook pro.

Anyway... Appreciate it big time you taking the time to look into this. After playing about I realised I had to double click the assigned key (e.g F5) for it to be able to be changed. Just programmed F5 and all good to go. :D Thanks again matey!!

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

uh yes it can, go to setting,s mission control and dashboard, and then deselect dashboard as space....

18. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

OK. Well turned Computer on this morning and the F5 key does not work now on the Wireless keyboard and can't get F4 to work on my MacbookPro either.
    Gone into settings again and checked but everything seems ok. Any ideas??

See below for screen shots to show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. MacCrank, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

OK. how do I get F4 to be launchpad on the Internal Keyboard and F5 to be on the wireless keyboard?

(At the moment, fn & F5 is launchpad on Internal Keyboard and F5 is working as launchpad on Wireless keyboard). I can't seem to assign F4 on internal keyboard.