Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
as i understand there are more that a few ways to get personal(unauthorized) ringtones onto your iphone.
I tried 3 so far:
one was all within itunes by changing file names.., another was by using garageband, and another is using audiohijack.
i dont have garageband and the first one didnt work for me, but this seemed
the best (and last) method so i tried it.
here is the directions:
I've seen a couple ways posted about exporting playlists from the apple store to a text file, copying the links into safari 3, etc. etc. etc.

I think I have an incredibly easy way. :)

1) Download the DEMO version of Audio Hijack Pro. GET IT HERE!

(Note: The Demo of the Pro version only allows you to record for 10 minutes before it overlays the recording with noise... however, as we only need it for 30 seconds... this is not a problem ;-) )

2) Set Hijack Pro to automatically create a new file after 2 seconds of silence.

3) Hijack iTunes, visit iTunes store, double click any song to hear 30 second sample.

4) Rename Hijack audio file something that you'd like it to show up as on the iPhone.

5) Use your favorite tool to get ringtones on the iPhone.

I have actually purchased Hijack because I'm using it so much now to DE-DRM my itunes purchases... but I have literally several hundred ringtones from itunes within a couple hours of messing around with it.

Sooo easy!

My problem is; i do it all and rename it to the m4r extension, it WILL list in my itunes ringtones folder and it WILL sync to my iphone...but its vary strange,...
it doesnt sync the actual ringtone. instead it duplicates my ONE apple authorized ringtone i already have on my phone as many times as there are ringtones im trying to sync. so if i have 4 ring tones to sync it will duplicate my autorized ring 4 times and i play all its clones and they are the same.

So i have em in my itunes ringtones but cant get them on my phone actually.

does anyone know what could be the fix? or even a whole other method that is not outdated and doesnt involve garageband?

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... but you see,.. i dont. i have 1.1.3
and i dont want to down size. so after easy?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... but you see,.. i dont. i have 1.1.3
and i dont want to down size. so after easy?

We are not so different you and I...

same firmware, but I am willing to go down to 1.1.2 to do it...

So Frau could you start the count down to new ringtines please?

FIVE, FOUR, THREE.....(figure the rest out)

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
aaahhhaaha, yes

hhhmmmm, i gota think about it. i could just jailbreak it at 1.1.3 and its the best of all worlds. i would do that before downgrading i just dont have leopard, and it wont work on tiger(ziphone).

I dont have Leopard or garageband. im just limited.

maybe ill wait this one out. i tried to hold out for the iphones next model. but the day before the frikn day the 16 gb came out i broke down and bought one. i prob wouldnt spend an extra hund for a stupid 8 gbs anyways. but when the apple home page came up i immediately regretted my impulsive, just got a paycheck, purchase.
i love the thing. its just,... gime a break. its an ipod and an alarm clock and i cant at least play my music as an alarm. come frikn on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.